Dumfries / Dumfries & Galloway

We have just booked our holiday for a week on the isle of arran and looking to break the journey with a night in somewhere like Dumfries or round that area. Can anyone tell is Dumfries a nice place to stop in?.

We both like our real ale and The isle of Arran seems to be a bit of a real ale desert, Dumfries seems to have lots of decent pubs according to Camra.

Is the plenty we could do round there for a day. We would aim to get there for about 9ish and make a full day of it. Open to any suggestions:)

Dumfries the town is nowt special, a bit like Mansfield perhaps.

Dumfries & Galloway on the other hand is lovely.

However you might be better staying around Carlisle, then you can drive up the M74 to get nearer Ardrossen faster the next day. From Dumfries you'd take the A76 to Ardrossen which is a long cross country road with slow lorries and tractors.

Dumfries the town is nowt special, a bit like Mansfield perhaps.

Dumfries & Galloway on the other hand is lovely.

However you might be better staying around Carlisle, then you can drive up the M74 to get nearer Ardrossen faster the next day. From Dumfries you'd take the A76 to Ardrossen which is a long cross country road with slow lorries and tractors.

An ex-gf of mine used to live near Dumfries and I have to agree with Norbert.

Kirkcudbright, Newton Stewart, Gatehouse Of Fleet, Wigtown, all great names and worth a visit. Stranraer has got better recently too, nice seafront pleasure gardens.

I've done Dumfries & Galloway to death over the last few years.

Have a great holiday in Dumfries & Galloway and on Arran.

I was last up there a few weeks ago and stayed at a cottage south of Wigtown, here.

In a month I'll be doing a tour of several islands ending on Bute :cool:

My current fav is Gigha - it's got a community owned real ale pub and white sandy beaches.

Archived