Dumfries / Dumfries & Galloway

Hugely disappointed last time I was up there. Indeed, the countryside outside my very door - Redmires and Hallam - is better.

Another hour north of Glasgow and you're in heaven. Oban and the surrounding countryside is stunning.

Hugely disappointed last time I was up there. Indeed, the countryside outside my very door - Redmires and Hallam - is better.

Another hour north of Glasgow and you're in heaven. Oban and the surrounding countryside is stunning.

Granted it's not as dramatic or wild as the Highlands but it has a certain Lowland charm I think. Personally I'm a Durness man.....bleak, Northern, windswept and empty.....perfect.

The drive to oban from glasgow through the mountains is breath taking

I think mull is the most stunning place for scenery

Glasgow is a top night out on he way to!

We have just booked our holiday for a week on the isle of arran and looking to break the journey with a night in somewhere like Dumfries or round that area. Can anyone tell is Dumfries a nice place to stop in?.

We both like our real ale and The isle of Arran seems to be a bit of a real ale desert, Dumfries seems to have lots of decent pubs according to Camra.

Is the plenty we could do round there for a day. We would aim to get there for about 9ish and make a full day of it. Open to any suggestions:)

A friend of mine has this spot, we have been going there for around 30 years, have a look at his webby page. Its a great place and only 9 miles from Dumfries. http://www.craigadam.com/ There is a honesty bar in the house or go to the next village, Corsock and visit Pringles pub/Post office. tell Jim I sent you.

Regards

Angel.

I rather liked it! Although maybe it was the low-level cloud that allowed us to practice our navigation skills that made it more exciting.

Top tip - don't camp next to a pond in Scotland in the summer...

I rather liked it! Although maybe it was the low-level cloud that allowed us to practice our navigation skills that made it more exciting.

Top tip - don't camp next to a pond in Scotland in the summer...

When we went to mull we didn't see a single midge!!

Archived