Good sunday dinner

whatsurrp

Crosspool Tavern is a fantastic basic carvery but I would advise you to go early if it's for Sunday lunch - they regularly run out of stuff in the afternoon due to its popularity.

However if you go during the week it's also exceedingly cheap...

It's a standard Toby Inn Carvery, like all the rest. Nothing "Fantastic" about it at all. "Decent" yes of course, "Fantastic" definitely not.

Scotsmans Pack , Hathersage . The Inn , at Trowey . Peacock , at Owler Bar . The Devonshire , at Handley . All good for food .

Scotsman Pack is good - very "home made" feel to the dishes there. I quite like that.

Inn at Troway ....errm, well, I won't comment because it's too long since I last ate there for me to be objective, but there was a long running thread on here and the bottom line was that it was very hit and miss for a while. Are you saying it is now consistently good? If so, then I'd be interested to try it maybe. The only thing is, I live close by to the Cricket Inn at Totley Bents, which is the same BrewKitchen type place, but a much, much nicer pub in a much better location. So, I could get more or less the same food there as they do at Troway - and be able to walk home!

The Devonshire is at Middle Handley (there are 3 Handley's y'see - all in that area). I grew up near there - it used to be a drinkers only pub with the best pint of hand pulled Stone's beer in Sheffield. I heard it went fancy a few years ago and this is the second recommendation I've heard recently about the food. Sounds like they are starting to turn out some good stuff then?

Thanks for the tip about Peacock at Owler Bar - it's just changed again recently hasn't it? It was "decent" about 3 years ago then went downhill. I notice that it's now part of the Chef & Brewer chain - which puts me off for a start. I notice also there's hardly ever any cars in their car park. Even on a sunday it looks quiet - that's not a good sign.

The Angel at Holmesfield turns out a good looking Sunday lunch btw. Haven't eaten there but it looked very good when I popped in for a drink whilst out walking the other week.

Try the Cartwheel at Brookhouse just passed Thurcroft amazing sunday dinners, You select your meat from a carvery section and as many side orders you want are brough fresh to your table. You have to book as it really gets busy. Also they have a lovely seating area outside which looks onto fields and streams.

Dronfield Arms is excellent for a proper home made Sunday lunch. It is only £5.95 and you get loads! Brought to your table rather than a carvery which I prefer. plus it was accompanied by a pint of Darkstar American Pale Ale which was top notch.

agree sedith.

Bear at Alderwasley is superior to any of these though, by far. But it will be too far for many people from Sheffield to even contemplate. However, if you are in the Matlock area, maybe visiting Matlock Bath (the seaside place without the sea) then you're only 10 mins away from the Bear and it really is worth it!

I'll second that! The Bear serves fantastic food. Last time I went there I had the best venison I've ever eaten! If you're out in that direction, try the 'Red Lion' at Hognaston (not on the same day though!)

Closer to home, I love the Monsal Hotel (stables bar) and also the Cricket Inn at Totley (avoid weekends) :)

the best carvery by far is the drawbridge between chapell town and rotherham, £3,49 and you can pile ur plate high, 3 different meats and u can even have all 3, defo worth the trip for over an hour from where i live, jade

No wonder we are one of the fattest nations on earth. People seem to think that being able to pile your plate high is the definition of good food!

Archived