Rebekah Brooks has quit

Still doesn't make sense. The only plausible cases are:

1. Employee wants to leave: resigns.

2. Employee doesn't want to leave: doesn't resign or even offer to resign.

3. Employee in deep trouble doesn't want to be sacked, and doesn't want to leave, so offers resignation in the hope it will be rejected in a vote of confidence by the employer.

I wonder if she will sign on! It is a terrible time to be unemployed and I feel sorry for her. Honest.

I think in the other thread someone posted that it should be cushy because her paper has told the public for years that you get free houses and loads of money if you're on the dole!

3. Employee in deep trouble doesn't want to be sacked, and doesn't want to leave, so offers resignation in the hope it will be rejected in a vote of confidence by the employer.

Or in Fred Goodwin's case - offers to resign in the full knowledge that he'll receive an eye-watering payoff and nearly a million a year in pension for the rest of his life.

She doesn't probably have to work again, it might be that she never gets the opportunity to, but what self-respecting employer would give her the nod?

None, but there are plenty that are not self-respecting that will jump at the chance to employ her.

Archived