That famous Brit explorer Chistopher Columbus!!

So the Nazis have nothing to do with our history? Which school did you go to?

Read pt cru's post again. She says her daughter is being taught about "the rise of the Nazi party between the 2 wars". I think you'll find this happened in Germany, not Britain!

I agree kids should be taught about the 2nd world war but the emphasis should be on how the British defeated the Nazi Empire, not about how the Nazi party came to power. This is especially important seeing as Hollywood has rewritten history so that kids today seem to think it was the Americans who won the war!

Read pt cru's post again. She says her daughter is being taught about "the rise of the Nazi party between the 2 wars". I think you'll find this happened in Germany, not Britain!

I agree kids should be taught about the 2nd world war but the emphasis should be on how the British defeated the Nazi Empire

The Russians also played rather a major part in it.

Like I posted earlier - useful for people to know how the Nazis came to power to prevent it happening again.

Why do you think she's being taught about the rise of the Nazi party between the wars?

This is especially important seeing as Hollywood has rewritten history so that kids today seem to think it was the Americans who won the war!

We wouldn't have won the war without the support of our American and other allies.

It might be interesting to her but neither topic has anything to do with the country she lives in! Surely the history taught in school should be the history of your own country?

I didnt grow up in the UK, but learned about cultures far and wide. Majority of the history taught was of my own, but a huge chunk on whether I could graduate or not was actually based on international studies courses. These werent elective, but mandatory classes I needed to complete and pass in order to get to uni. Learning about national or local history could be taken as an elective for additional studies.

Learning about others far and wide helped open my eyes to others and how they lived their lives. It made me want to go out and explore, instead of wanting to remain in my cushy bubble of home

The blame for such ignorance must go to the PC brigade who changed the way British history is taught in our schools.

We should be proud of our great explorers and the British Empire which once ruled the world - instead our kids are taught to be ashamed of our nation's glorious past.

Are you AJP Taylor or something.The potato was never brought back by Raleight who was no explorer but a licenced pirate,a privateer.When I did history at school it was complete tosh,and those people you deride might have studied WW1 from the troops' perspective or the evolution of medicinal practice-both more useful than a superficial understanding of Drake and Raleigh

It might be interesting to her but neither topic has anything to do with the country she lives in! Surely the history taught in school should be the history of your own country?

How can history be taught in isolation,without reference to other nations?The UK is a mongrel nation and can only be understood by adddressing France the USA,India etc.I am glad you are not peddling your history.

The blame for such ignorance must go to the PC brigade who changed the way British history is taught in our schools.

We should be proud of our great explorers and the British Empire which once ruled the world - instead our kids are taught to be ashamed of our nation's glorious past.

Hardly something to be proud of. We raped and pillaged nations, took over their resources, subjugated the populous etc...

What's there to be proud of ?

Archived