That famous Brit explorer Chistopher Columbus!!

We raped and pillaged nations, took over their resources, subjugated the populous etc.

1. No, "we" did not. I doubt that even "they" did.

2. Few if any starved in the Empire's Dominions. Many of those countries' populations do now.

3. 'Populous' is an adjective. Did you mean 'populus?'

Watched about 10mins of 'The Aprentice' the other night and was quite appalled and a bit depressed actually to witness the conversation between 2 of the contestants. Apparently Christopher Columbus was a famous British explorer who discovered the potato and there was another famous explorer called William Drake. Mmmmm.... :( (They forgot to mention Walter Raleigh famous for discovering the racing bicycle :hihi:) Are these people representative of today's bright, up and coming young people who will be running the country... I hope not.

Is it that important, not really.To be honest i wasn't so sure myself .:)

1. No, "we" did not. I doubt that even "they" did.

2. Few if any starved in the Empire's Dominions. Many of those countries' populations do now.

3. 'Populous' is an adjective. Did you mean 'populus?'

I disagree with what you've said. Oh, and I forgot to add, Britain was responsible for the Israeli-Palestinian problem, as well as the India/Pakistan one (via Kashmir).

And yes, I probably meant 'populus' ;)

Watched about Min's of 'The Apprentice' the other night and was quite appalled and a bit depressed actually to witness the conversation between 2 of the contestants. Apparently Christopher Columbus was a famous British explorer who discovered the potato and there was another famous explorer called William Drake. Mmmmm.... :( (They forgot to mention Walter Raleigh famous for discovering the racing bicycle :hi hi:) Are these people representative of today's bright, up and coming young people who will be running the country... I hope not.

Christopher Columbus, to my recollection of history he was born in Genoa Italy.

He was not a British explorer, and I thought it was Francis Drake, but thats my opinion.

If the people on the show have no concept of the past then they should keep their mouth shut until they are in possession of their facts.

If they are going to run a business then they should put brain in gear be for opening mouth.

they were trying to be too clever with the branding. That was the really bad mistake. Calling it My Py, rather than just My Pie, was the silliest error, not the Columbus or Drake howlers, which were completely uncecessary as there was no reason to mention any explorers at all.

they got the main things in the task right. The food was good, it was served quickly and at a good price - although perhaps too cheaply as the ingredients were apparently on the pricey side.

the other team, which lost, tried to be too clever with the food, not the branding. And that's why they failed.

Hardly something to be proud of. We raped and pillaged nations, took over their resources, subjugated the populous etc...

What's there to be proud of ?

You forgot the bit about educating them and in a lot of cases ,civilising them

You forgot the bit about educating them and in a lot of cases ,civilising them

Doesn't really make up for all the bad stuff we did...I mean, look at some of the legacy of our empire.. Palestine, Kashmir...

Archived