That famous Brit explorer Chistopher Columbus!!

Christopher Columbus, to my recollection of history he was born in Genoa Italy.

He was not a British explorer, and I thought it was Francis Drake, but thats my opinion.

If the people on the show have no concept of the past then they should keep their mouth shut until they are in possession of their facts.

If they are going to run a business then they should put brain in gear be for opening mouth.

You'd think so, yet Sir Alan can't get his grammar right, he's always saying 'was you?' or 'you was'. He's made a fortune without managing to get everything right.

You're right about Columbus, he was Italian!

Read pt cru's post again. She says her daughter is being taught about "the rise of the Nazi party between the 2 wars". I think you'll find this happened in Germany, not Britain!

I agree kids should be taught about the 2nd world war but the emphasis should be on how the British defeated the Nazi Empire, not about how the Nazi party came to power. This is especially important seeing as Hollywood has rewritten history so that kids today seem to think it was the Americans who won the war!

Without knowing the history of how both wars came about, only knowing the history of GB doesn't make a lot of sense.

Both wars were WORLD wars which includes all nations who took part, unless you wish to ignore that is.

You're right about Columbus, he was Italian!

there was no such thing as any 'Italian' nationality in Columbus's time. Italian was a language not a nationality in those days. Columbus was Genoese, although nearly everything that Columbus ever wrote that survives was written in Spanish, not Italian.

1. No, "we" did not. I doubt that even "they" did.

2. Few if any starved in the Empire's Dominions. Many of those countries' populations do now.

3. 'Populous' is an adjective. Did you mean 'populus?'

Re point 2

In the latter half of the 19th century, there were approximately 25 major famines across India which killed between 30 and 40 million people. See http://www.lonympics.co.uk/Famine_in_India.htm, many more sites from a simple Google search. Of course the obvious famine caused by the British would be the Irish potato famine.

Would you like me check on famines in Africa possessions as well?

if you're Indian or Pakistani, less so Malaysian or Singaporean and living here, the only reason you're not surrounded by about 200 screaming relatives, worried about where yours (and theirs) next meal is coming from, and taking a dump in a hole in the ground is because of the British Empire.

if you're Indian or Pakistani, less so Malaysian or Singaporean and living here, the only reason you're not surrounded by about 200 screaming relatives, worried about where yours (and theirs) next meal is coming from, and taking a dump in a hole in the ground is because of the British Empire.

On the other hand, if you're Indian, Pakistani, Malaysian, and do not exist because your great-great-grandparents were exterminated by the British invaders .... you're probably not so happy about things.

Never mind history inaccuracy, the main questions from any prospective employer must be

"Can you read and write accurately and grammatically? Can you do arithmetic correctly?"

You dont do arithmetic;use an appropriate verb please!Perhaps I shoould say one does not DO arithmetic.

1. No, "we" did not. I doubt that even "they" did.

2. Few if any starved in the Empire's Dominions. Many of those countries' populations do now.

3. 'Populous' is an adjective. Did you mean 'populus?'

They were in the Boxer dispute in China;you cannot prove a negative ie that they did not starve.

there was no such thing as any 'Italian' nationality in Columbus's time. Italian was a language not a nationality in those days. Columbus was Genoese, although nearly everything that Columbus ever wrote that survives was written in Spanish, not Italian.

That right-Columbus invented the glace chery found in Genoa cake.

Archived