Car Insurance for a 36 year old

£670 from Aviva.

That's two adults, with 29 years no claims between them, use of another car etc. etc.

£670.

And that's with a random '20% discount' applied to try and make it sound like a good deal.

I've been with Aviva for 3 years and just had a renewal quote for £670 for a Clio 1.4. Went on comparethemarket and got a quote for £340 with Octagon.

i too am 36 female and only driver my insurance quote this year was £533, i have 10 years no claims or convictions, and 1 accident 4 years ago(my fault) my premium went up from £377 last year, I am appalled have shopped around and managed to get it down to £403 which i still think is expensive but its the best i can do after going through numerous sites and phone calls, i asked my current insurer why it had jumped so high without any reasn (in my opinion ) and she didn't really know why except to say insurance had gone up on the whole.

• 1 month later...

There should be no age discrimination, your car insurance should have a 0 put on the end, so you can appreciate the financial position of your younger countrymen.

You may say £6000 is a expensive and prices you out of work, and many would agree.

There should be no age discrimination, your car insurance should have a 0 put on the end, so you can appreciate the financial position of your younger countrymen.

You may say £6000 is a expensive and prices you out of work, and many would agree.

Don't get me started on that!

I understand completely that car insurance has to be based on the statistical likelihood of a claim.

What I don't understand is what I'm doing that is so risky. I've got an old, slow car, I like in an ok postcode, and I've never made a claim.

Statistically, young people are more likely to claim. If you live in some places your car is more likely to be stolen. If your car is expensive to mend any claim will be more expensive. If your car is fast you're more likely to crash it. If you have a job that means you drive at night you are more likely to crash.

I get all that. But none of it applies to me! This car is the one that we use to take our daughter to feed the ducks in, and go to Asda.

The recent legislation change so that insurers can't differentiate by gender baffled me too. If the difference is borne out by the statistics then I don't see a problem. They still differentiate by age (backed up with stats) - I'm not sure what is different about doing so by gender.

I attempted to explain 'menu' charging on this thread, but my posts were deleted, over a quarter of a century of experience in financial services counts for nothing. :huh:

Financial services really improved life in the UK.

House price boom and mega crash coming.

Pensions wiped out.

Work incentives wiped out.

:hihi:

Would have made more sense to keep them on the dole!

Yours sincerely, UK resident :help:

Archived