Why are we so het-up about things now-a-days

Bit of a discussion here but my thoughts after reading papers and other posts etc.

Why are we so het-up now-a-days about knowing things. Information is the key and more we have the better.

Weather it be why something has broken,

how it has come to pass that things cost so much,

what our children spend their lunch money

Is there a van driving around our area slowly from time to time?

What can our toddlers catch from our garden?

What health and safety issues are in play in the parks play area?

When can babies start eating food instead of just milk and do they HAVE to exercise.

Forgive me for blasting the past but my memories serve that not all that long ago (ok, maybe 15 or more) these things didn't really bother us that much.

A lot more was taken with salt pinches or at least we didn't pay them much attention.

Slow wagons, maybe they are looking for scrap, or had a couple of black labels before driving home.

Children and lunch money - best not to ask what they spent it on so long as they were not as skinny as a Skeleton

Babies & eating - whenever they were winging on milk alone.

Toddlers and gardens - they cant catch anything, it just makes them harder and more resilient!

How come society has got to a point whereby we need to know everything and suspect everything and everybody of potentially being "up to no good" or not acting in "the best interests"?

Interesting Sociological observation maybe??

Possibly, maybe not total paranioa, all I know is, we are more bothered about what might be happening instead of what is!

I remember the worst that could happen on a January Morning was a Red breast pecking through your silver top to get the cream out of your milk!!

Possibly, maybe not total paranioa, all I know is, we are more bothered about what might be happening instead of what is!

I remember the worst that could happen on a January Morning was a Red breast pecking through your silver top to get the cream out of your milk!!

Ooooh that can give you campylobacter! ;)

Ooooh that can give you campylobacter! ;)

Lol, I think thats the sort of comment dannio is talking about...

Have we actually become more paranoid? Its hard to tell, since I wasnt a 30-40 year old 40 years ago, and 40 years before that I wasnt even alive

So how do you measure this paranoia? Maybe its a feeling of paranoia that everyone gets as they get older

we've all heard the expressions

"It Wasn’t Like That In My Day"

"They dont make them like they use to"

<< aren't these just feelings we get as we get older, its hard to measure subjective paranoia and compare it to years ago (when you was younger)

It’s an age-old tradition that the older generation blames the younger for destroying the value system that underpins civilisation.

We've always heard these expressions, we've all heard the rantings of the older generations....

Maybe its an evolutionary advantage that the older (and more vulnerable) you get as you get, the more you become paranoid

Lol, I think thats the sort of comment dannio is talking about...

Have we actually become more paranoid? Its hard to tell, since I wasnt a 30-40 year old 40 years ago, and 40 years before that I wasnt even alive

So how do you measure this paranoia? Maybe its a feeling of paranoia that everyone gets as they get older

we've all heard the expressions

"It Wasn’t Like That In My Day"

"They dont make them like they use to"

<< aren't these just feelings we get as we get older, its hard to measure subjective paranoia and compare it to years ago (when you was younger)

It’s an age-old tradition that the older generation blames the younger for destroying the value system that underpins civilisation.

We've always heard these expressions, we've all heard the rantings of the older generations....

Maybe its an evolutionary advantage that the older (and more vulnerable) you get as you get, the more you become paranoid

But it's the younger generations who seem to be getting more paranoid Tenants, not the older generation. The older generation went about their business without all this bull from the mass media, the younger generations seem to be spoon fed hype from newspapers, TV, Internet etc, "theres a paedo on every corner" type of mentality has prevailed. We used to be warned by our parents not to take sweets from strangers, but now you can't take a camera to a school play...so why so much paranoia today ?

Why are we so het-up about things now-a-days

Perhaps people should remember a couple of lines from “ I Wish i was a punkrocker lyrics” .

When pop stars remained a myth and ignorance could still remain a bliss

When computers were still scary and we didn’t know everything.

Archived