Broken wrist - surgery

On a recent school trip (teacher, not student!) I managed to break my wrist (or the bone in my lower forearm, more precisely) quite badly. It looked quite a mess and required the doctor to do a lot of pulling and tweaking to straighten things out before putting me in a cast.

This was a few days ago but, unfortunately, they are not 100% happy with the state of my arm after the initial attempts to reset it. As I'm only fairly young (24) it is therefore better to have surgery to put everything back together properly - hopefully avoiding reduced function in the future.

I am off to Chesterfield Royal on Monday to get it all done and have been told to expect to stay overnight as I'll be given antibiotics three times after on account of the metalwork.

I just wondered if anyone had gone through a similar procedure? I'm particularly interested in recovery times as I'm supposed to be off to Spain 7 days after the surgery! Luckily it's my left hand so I should still be able to lift San Miguel with my dominant hand unhindered!!

broke my wrist ice skating about 10yrs ago had it pinned etc wasnt too bad cant exactly remember recovery time but dont think it was too long cant have been too bad an experience or i would have remembered more about it still got metal work in and dont experience any problems with it! anyway good luck for monday shouldnt be too bad and expect youll be ok for your holiday regards kim

On a recent school trip (teacher, not student!) I managed to break my wrist (or the bone in my lower forearm, more precisely) quite badly. It looked quite a mess and required the doctor to do a lot of pulling and tweaking to straighten things out before putting me in a cast.

This was a few days ago but, unfortunately, they are not 100% happy with the state of my arm after the initial attempts to reset it. As I'm only fairly young (24) it is therefore better to have surgery to put everything back together properly - hopefully avoiding reduced function in the future.

I am off to Chesterfield Royal on Monday to get it all done and have been told to expect to stay overnight as I'll be given antibiotics three times after on account of the metalwork.

I just wondered if anyone had gone through a similar procedure? I'm particularly interested in recovery times as I'm supposed to be off to Spain 7 days after the surgery! Luckily it's my left hand so I should still be able to lift San Miguel with my dominant hand unhindered!!

Everyone recovers at different speeds, after 7 days your pain may well be under control, however the wound site will still be raw, as for flying to Spain you’ll have to check with your surgeon, the ones I work with would more than likely advise against it, if you have a cast applied post op, the air company may not let you on the plane. (depending on length of flight), There are a variety of factors to consider when taking a flight with an injury such as broken bones, pressurisation/swelling, increased risk of clots, and no doubt a certainty is the increased level of pain you will experience. Some people have been known to cope quite well others have varying levels of the aforementioned. One other issue is how long you are going to be in Spain, you have to consider wound check, suture removal, follow up appointment. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but check with your surgeon.

I broke both bones at the wrist same as you and and the broken bones crushed on impact.

I was told k-wire was the only option for me, It was a wednesday dinnertime so they starved me for the rest of the day with the intention of surgery, However by 7pm I was told surgery had finished and I'd have to wait till tomorrow.

The Thursday I was nil by mouth from waking at 7am til 6pm and again no surgery.

Finally I got my surgery Friday morning.

So you should be more worried about lingering around waiting for the actual surgery.

Tendon surgery is much more urgent than bones apparently so if some fool whos punched a pane of glass comes in he gets your slot.

On a positive note, I went home by friday teatime and felt absolutely fine. Never needed much in the way of painkillers either

Ooooh and another point worth mentioning, Theatre uses plaster of paris for the cast, to allow for post operative swelling, So its awfully heavy

I broke my wrist badly a few years ago and had to have an op (also at chesterfield hospital) I was in over night, after the op they put a cast on, I was in pain for about 1 week after the op then it eased of slightly. I had the cast on for 6 weeks followed by 12 weeks of physio. This happened 6 years ago, I still have problems with pain, swelling etc during the winter and if I'm doing lots of heavy lifting :(

Archived