Mangla, Spital Hill Guardian Review

The fact that a broadsheet food reviewer actually left London to review somewhere must be a first (although he could only be bothered to get a takeaway!!!). He probably thinks that review has fulfilled his quotient for reviewing northern restaurants for the rest of the year.

"As for “Spital Hill where, once I'd got out of the car and looked around a bit, I did find myself wondering about the probability of getting stabbed” - I'll leave readers to decide whether that's because Spital Hill is Spital Hill or because John Lanchester is John Lanchester..."

classic

The fact that a broadsheet food reviewer actually left London to review somewhere must be a first (although he could only be bothered to get a takeaway!!!). He probably thinks that review has fulfilled his quotient for reviewing northern restaurants for the rest of the year.

Clearly you don't read the reviewer's column much? He covers restaurants from all over - for example he gave a very positive review to Moran's on Abbeydale Road a few months back.

Clearly you don't read the reviewer's column much? He covers restaurants from all over - for example he gave a very positive review to Moran's on Abbeydale Road a few months back.

Actually I read the Guardian every Saturday. The restaurant reviews have always been very London based (or at least the ones on Saturdays have been). In years of reading it I think I can recall one review of a Leeds restaurant.

Actually I read the Guardian every Saturday. The restaurant reviews have always been very London based (or at least the ones on Saturdays have been). In years of reading it I think I can recall one review of a Leeds restaurant.

In that case it must be a little bit of amnesia. From the Guardian's online archive (http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/john-lanchester), here's the more recent reviews:

Restaurant: Mangla, Sheffield

Restaurant: Quince, London W1

Restaurant: José, London SE1

Restaurant: The Riding House Cafe, London W1

Restaurant: The Pheasant, Harome, North Yorkshire

Restaurant: Crown Social, Cardiff

Restaurant: The Three Mariners, Oare, Kent

Restaurant: The Gilbert Scott, London NW1

Restaurant: Pollen Street Social, London W1

Restaurant: Su La, New Malden, Greater London

Restaurant: The Leeds Kitchen by James Martin, Leeds

Restaurant: St John Hotel, London WC2

Restaurant: Fox And Grapes, Wimbledon, London SW19

Restaurant: Sheesh, Chigwell, Essex

Doesn't look like it's the "first" time he's reviewed a restaurant outside the capital.

In that case it must be a little bit of amnesia. From the Guardian's online archive (http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/john-lanchester), here's the more recent reviews:

Restaurant: Mangla, Sheffield

Restaurant: Quince, London W1

Restaurant: José, London SE1

Restaurant: The Riding House Cafe, London W1

Restaurant: The Pheasant, Harome, North Yorkshire

Restaurant: Crown Social, Cardiff

Restaurant: The Three Mariners, Oare, Kent

Restaurant: The Gilbert Scott, London NW1

Restaurant: Pollen Street Social, London W1

Restaurant: Su La, New Malden, Greater London

Restaurant: The Leeds Kitchen by James Martin, Leeds

Restaurant: St John Hotel, London WC2

Restaurant: Fox And Grapes, Wimbledon, London SW19

Restaurant: Sheesh, Chigwell, Essex

Doesn't look like it's the "first" time he's reviewed a restaurant outside the capital.

I was exaggerating for comic effect, surely that was clear enough or is humour not allowed on this forum? As it happens from the list you supply 10/14 are in the south east, and only 2 from the North - rather backing up my point of a south (eastern) bias.

Also today's Guardian restaurant review....Medlar, London SW1!

Archived