The BNP and foreign students

I'm not suggesting that although it is probably one way for some of the newer members.

Yes, sorry andikay, Im not inferring that I believe these are your personal views. Indeed some of the newer members may well be taking advantage of the anomalies right now, but over time I guess the hope is that their economies will develop to match the more established countries and it would be in the interests of Europe as a whole if they did so, especially if we hope to compete with other emerging and fast developing economies such as India & China, who 20 years ago we probably wouldn't have foreseen as being contenders.

My kind of paper? I'm not a Guardian reader nightflight, it's not ballsy enough for me. I prefer the Daily Mail..it gives me a reason for living :hihi:

Ps: You should read the final paragraph of your link ;)

I have but you know given the right to remain is just another way of turning over stayers in legal migrants.;)The figures are shocking and its good to see some action on this although as ive said in another post they promise one thing and do another.

I have but you know given the right to remain is just another way of turning over stayers in legal migrants.;)
Hmm perhaps so, and perhaps many more eventually return home. Did you know nightflight that people who come here to work/study actually don't all view the UK as the most stunning place to live in the world?!

The figures are shocking and its good to see some action on this although as ive said in another post they promise one thing and do another.

I think it's absolutely right that robust action is taken to process and deport illegal immigrants who have no legitimate reason to be here, but it's not right to demonise foreign students who have been granted leave to stay without knowing their reasons for doing so and indeed how long they actually stay for and whether they do so illegally.

Hmm perhaps so, and perhaps many more eventually return home. Did you know nightflight that people who come here to work/study actually don't all view the UK as the most stunning place to live in the world?!

I think it's absolutely right that robust action is taken to process and deport illegal immigrants who have no legitimate reason to be here, but it's not right to demonise foreign students who have been granted leave to stay without knowing their reasons for doing so and indeed how long they actually stay for and whether they do so illegally.

Its nightlight by the way;)Your second point I actually agree with,I dont think im demonising students just highlighting the fact we have many who overstay .

Its nightlight by the way;)
Apologises it was a typo..or wishful thinking ;)

Your second point I actually agree with,I dont think im demonising students just highlighting the fact we have many who overstay .

That's fine but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, foreign students bring vast amounts of income into the UK economy, many billions in tuition fees alone, inevitably like any system there will be a minority who abuse it.

As I said in the opening post, even if only 75% are genuine-study, pay the fees then bugger off home the revenue generated is still massive. The objective should be to encourage as many of this type to come here to study as we can cater for, whilst putting in place a system that prevents the fakes using a student visa to gain access..a good start would be the continual scrutiny of FE colleges that have large numbers of foreign students to ensure they aren't bogus. I'm sure a small percentage from the revenue generated from foreign students could be allocated to do this.

I agree, but you seem to suggest it's only one way traffic.

I have elderly friends who live in France and they wax lyrical about the French healthcare system, and the services available to them compared to the UK- I know it's anecdotal but is food for thought nonetheless.

Well if we stopped giving so much away on foreign aid down the years maybe we could manage better, I bet mine and my parents wife's parents wouldn't have had to wait as long for an indoor loo.:hihi::hihi:

What do you think about foreign students and the revenue they bring into the UK?

we move them from storage to their digs in september....and then move their stuff back into storage when they go home on holiday....the cycle is non-stop....lovely jubbly...long may it continue...the lads love it...

Under EU law Scotland and England can't charge EU students more for their educations than their own students pay, what I don't get is why English students don't appear have the same rights as every other EU country. The same law that allows a French student to a free education in Scotland should also apply to an English student.

I’m of the opinion that we either leave the EU or give all EU members the same rights; there should be no benefits than a Latvian can get coming here that we can’t get going there.

Scotland is a country but it is not per se an EU member State. The Scots can charge their own countrymen whatever they like and they can't charge students from other EU member states one penny more than they charge Scottish students.

England is also a country but it too is not an EU member State. If the Scots want to charge an inflated price for English students then by doing so they are not in breach of EU law. - That law applies to charges levied against citizens/residents of other European member states.

I am saying that people get bored by threads about BNP/racism/ Islamaphobia etc...etc...etc.

I am one of them.

The best way to stop racism in England is to only have the English in England. Problem solved.

Already told you, you missed your chance of the prize.

Scotland is a country but it is not per se an EU member State. The Scots can charge their own countrymen whatever they like and they can't charge students from other EU member states one penny more than they charge Scottish students.

England is also a country but it too is not an EU member State. If the Scots want to charge an inflated price for English students then by doing so they are not in breach of EU law. - That law applies to charges levied against citizens/residents of other European member states.

Thanks for the explanation.

Archived