Cameron knackered

Guest sibon
I agree with your reason for their non involvement and when Vince Cable expressed his opinions he was slated in the press after 2 journalists used underhand means to discredit him.

Now they are a part of government and so more influential, since Mr. Clegg is deputy Prime Minister it should follow that he will succeed Mr. Cameron if he steps down.

Vince Cable's outburst is looking like a piece of excellent planning now, isn't it. :D

The Tory right will never accept Nick Clegg as Prime Minister though. In any case, it doesn't necessarily follow that the Deputy PM will become PM. As far as I know, Deputy PM is simply a vanity label given to Nick Clegg. I don't think that it has any constitutional basis.

Vince Cable's outburst is looking like a piece of excellent planning now, isn't it. :D

The Tory right will never accept Nick Clegg as Prime Minister though. In any case, it doesn't necessarily follow that the Deputy PM will become PM. As far as I know, Deputy PM is simply a vanity label given to Nick Clegg. I don't think that it has any constitutional basis.

The interesting and different position this time is that with a coalition government the Tories may not get free reign to select the prime minister.

Guest sibon
The interesting and different position this time is that with a coalition government the Tories may not get free reign to select the prime minister.

They will.

In this case, might is right.

The whole popular political class are mired in corruption and dishonourable behaviour in one way or another and as much as I'd like to see things change I doubt very much that the recent grubby little insight into their life style will change anything at all.

Cam is safe,dont think the tory party are going to get rid of him when they dont have anyone else as good.

He isn't safe. He's mired in it.

He's a personal friend of Brooks and of Coulson. I wouldn't bet against either of those friends facing criminal charges. And Cameron cannot prove they never shared info with him that was gathered illegally, info that could have provided electoral advantage or leverage against opponents. Fundamentally he has been proven to have poor judgement and he has no way of proving he hasn't benefited from illegally gathered data.

Toast!

... since Mr. Clegg is deputy Prime Minister it should follow that he will succeed Mr. Cameron if he steps down.

The office of deputy prime minister has little, if any, official standing; it certainly does not imply that the holder is next in line to become PM. Or rather, although the title makes that implication (what else is a deputy if not the next in line), it is a misleading title because the implication is entirely false.

Even when a governing party has a working majority and no coalition is formed, the office of Deputy PM is not likely to go to anybody who stands much chance of actually being the next Prime Minister. Any such politician would want a job with more standing and power, such as Chancellor.

He isn't safe. He's mired in it.

He's a personal friend of Brooks and of Coulson. I wouldn't bet against either of those friends facing criminal charges. And Cameron cannot prove they never shared info with him that was gathered illegally, info that could have provided electoral advantage or leverage against opponents.

Which of our 649 MPs actually can prove that nobody ever shared illegally-acquired information with them?

Come to that, can you prove that nobody ever shared it with you?

Which of our 649 MPs actually can prove that nobody ever shared illegally-acquired information with them?

Come to that, can you prove that nobody ever shared it with you?

Not many of the other 649 MPs are in the frame just yet. If they've done wrong they will be in the frame soon enough. Cameron first though ;)

I don't expect to be involved ;)

Archived