Cameron knackered

It's obvious that all parties will be affected by the fallout from this.

If Clegg or Miliband have any skeletons in the closet they are knackered too - after all they have tried to claim the moral high ground over this. It's not clear yet that either of them genuinely have the right to do so.

Hmmm, would you be saying the same if it was the other way around?

The scary thing is who thought they were in charge - the Murdochs and the people that did their bidding.

Was reading today that Ed Miliband was due to give an interview immediately after the Millie Dowler story broke. NI executives were desperately contacting his team to try and influence what he would say. He responded by saying he would say what he thought. In the interview he called for Brooks to resign. Immediately afterwards he was contacted by NI representatives to be told that as he had made it personal NI were going to make it personal against him. The threat on the face of it delivered to the leader of the opposition by aides of a close personal friend of the PM.

Which publication did you read that in, any link?

That is precisely what makes it doubly sinister. The fact that whatever party has been in power during the last three decades, Murdoch has been close to the centre of where policy making is taking place.

The New Labour (Tories Light) planners courted Murdoch in much the same way they copied evrything that the Tories did which they saw as being successful. But it was the Tories who set the system up, and Cameron tried to take it further than ever before, so it is only right that they should get the lions share of the political fallout,

It's part of the job of politicians to court good publicity, so they're always going to have a relationship with the media.

One of the big problems has been the use of former hacks as 'Communications Chiefs' or 'Political Advisors' at No. 10.

Remember Alistair Campbell, he was at the heart of decision making for years and no doubt had more influence over policy and decisions even than most cabinet members, but the formal tabloid hack just like Coulson was totally unelected.

Which publication did you read that in, any link?

Here is the link. Near the bottom Miliband describes how NI tried to control the situation, issuing personal threats after Miliband had called for the resignation of Brooks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jul/16/ed-miliband-rupert-murdoch-phone-hacking

A couple of things:

1. It is wrong for the media to be trying to create pressure to influence what is said by politicians during interviews. It's fascinating that Miliband seems so accepting about that - "it's just what happens". I find that very disturbing - NI by applying pressure at that point could have really changed how this story played out. I guess it wouldn't be the done thing not to talk to the NI people at that point because of the threat of reprisals.

2. Miliband is clear that NI threatened him after he called for the resignation of Brooks. Remember who the chief exec of NI was at that point - none other than a close personal friend of the PM.

I hope you enjoy the story at the link.

Hmmm, would you be saying the same if it was the other way around?

For sure. The whole thing needs flushing out into the open. There will be a lot of casualties from this from all sides of the house of commons and beyond.

The police wanted to arrest Blair over Cash for Honours. He threatened to resign if arrested, so the police backed off from arrest but questioned him anyway.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1536975/Police-question-Blair-on-honours.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546588/Police-told-Blair-would-resign-if-cautioned.html

So I take it that Tory Blair wasn't arrested.

As my question was 'Anyone know if a serving PM has ever been arrested while still in office?' What was the point in your answer?

So I take it that Tory Blair wasn't arrested.

As my question was 'Anyone know if a serving PM has ever been arrested while still in office?' What was the point in your answer?

Hmmm poor old Smarmy Dave, I bet he's just dreading that knock on the door!:hihi:

As for the political dimension of the hacking, it was Cameron who decided to employ Coulson, despite some very clear warning signs.

Moron has also entertained coulson at chequers, after he had resigned from cameron's employ.

What was the point in your answer?

Topic deflection.;)

Hmmm poor old Smarmy Dave, I bet he's just dreading that knock on the door!:hihi:

Yes, it's OK for a Labour PM to send countless folk to their deaths on a proven lie, whilst planning his post office business plans. However, if a Conservative PM makes a questionable appointment he should be hung out to dry, sound logic there my left of Lenin little sparring partner.

Awaits deletion. ;)

Yes, it's OK for a Labour PM to send countless folk to their deaths on a proven lie, whilst planning his post office business plans. However, if a Conservative PM makes a questionable appointment he should be hung out to dry, sound logic there my left of Lenin little sparring partner.

Awaits deletion. ;)

Cameron and the Tories voted for the war. It couldn't have happened without Tory support. Only the LibDems voted against. And no I don't agree with the war...or any war.

'Never saw a military solution, that didn't end up with something worse.' (Sting)

Archived