Met Police Commissioner resigns over hacking scandal

I think you've more or less proved Fareast's point for him about being shouted down by people determined to maintain that everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds! Younger people seem unable to accept that at one time, everyday life in the UK was so much pleasanter, easier and less stressful than it is today, for everyone.

How old do you think I am?!

I wasn't shouting Fareast down, just offering a different reflection.

I don't believe contemporary life is a bed of roses anyway the scandals are numerous and life is hard, I just don't believe it's necessarily any worse or rather the indiscretions weren't so readily highlighted because the ruling classes could afford to influence the popular media much more than they can now.

I'm certainly old enough to remember the Profumo Affair and how the scandal was managed to limit damage to the establishment. If that was happening now far more people would have been implicated in it.

What I have discovered is that some of my fellow middle aged and senior citizens have a rose tinted view of history, but I don't find anything particularly attractive about bathing in a tin bath in front of the fire or having to go outside to do a number 2 in the throes of winter ;)

I think you've more or less proved Fareast's point for him about being shouted down by people determined to maintain that everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds! Younger people seem unable to accept that at one time, everyday life in the UK was so much pleasanter, easier and less stressful than it is today, for everyone.

I fully agree with what he says. The country's totally gone to the dogs and getting worse. Let's hope that this will be the tipping point and things will start to get better from now on.

Ohhhh, a shadow just passed overhead, could it have been a flying pig ... :D

I can see how you might think that...if your definition of 'shouting down' is reasonably expressing an opinion which differs from your own.

TBH, between the general tone of BFs posts and your own, he isn't the one who most closely tallies with my definition of having tendencies to shout people down . Not by a long shot. :hihi:

But you clearly attach a different meaning to the expression than most other people, so by your own definition, I'm afraid to tell you that I too am about to shout both you and fareast down.

I have lived in the UK since 2004. The other time I lived in the UK in my adult life was between 1983 and 1991. I don not remember it being a friendly time at all. I remember the country being polarised into two camps. One side was led by a cosy coalition containing the Murdoch empire, the government and a police force which had received a massive hike in wages and conditions at a time when unemployment was spiralling and those in work were mostly seeing their wages conditions erroded. To say these three were friendly is an understatement. It was the political equivqlent of a menage a trois.

You may believe that the corruption and collusion which is presently being exposed concerning this cosy love triangle did not exist in those days. It was all clean and above board, and nothing to do with the fact that they were just so much more in control back then, and anyway, it was just so much easier to get away with against the backdrop of flag waving jubilation over the triumph of British grit over the Argy, and communist enemies at the gates, not least in Orgreave, all of which the Murdoch/Thatcher alliance exploited so beautifully, and laid the groundwork for the newly beefed up, better paid police force to go in and do what had to be done, in order to lay the groundwork for the New Britain where we are all homeowners and entrepeneurs now.

Yes, things were so much simpler in those days. and friendly, really friendly. you could feel the love.

Get the story right.

Announcing his resignation, Sir Paul said: "I have taken this decision as a consequence of the ongoing speculation and accusations relating to the Met's links with News International at a senior level and in particular in relation to Mr Neil Wallis, who as you know was arrested in connection with Operation Weeting last week."

Sir Paul insisted his integrity was intact despite pressure on him intensifying this weekend after it emerged he accepted thousands of pounds-worth of free accommodation at a luxury health spa.

Regards

Angel.

AND ...secretly employed a private 'tec who was a suspect in a nasty killing who has links with Murdoch as an 'advisor' to the force - doesn't the met have actual detectives it could take advice from (for less than a £1K a day) - was there a clause forbidding him from reporting back to his masters in wapping? what exactly did he 'advise' on? his own prosecution? murdoch's law breaking? it's fascinating - we all knew the top was corrupt but the scale of it is breathtaking -

and where's Cameron? he's gone to ground - his resignation next? he's certainly wounded, That's too much to hope.

Things will never get any better as long as the PC obsessed university types keep dominating all areas of society.

Yeah, because the place would be so much better with thicko, uneducated racist types running it.

I can see how you might think that.. (snipped for brevity) I have lived in the UK since 2004. The other time I lived in the UK in my adult life was between 1983 and 1991. Yes, things were so much simpler in those days. and friendly, really friendly. you could feel the love.
You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Although you might have felt an inimical atmosphere, for whatever reasons, most people were still more mannerly, respectful of one another and not so aggressive as today.

But I wasn't referring back to the near past. Things started going pear shaped probably about the time you were first living here , so you have little basis on which to compare. I'm thinking about, and probably so is Fareast, as he's pretty much a contemporary of mine, the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I'm not saying everything in the garden was rosy, but in comparison to today it was positively halcyon.

What I have discovered is that some of my fellow middle aged and senior citizens have a rose tinted view of history, but I don't find anything particularly attractive about bathing in a tin bath in front of the fire or having to go outside to do a number 2 in the throes of winter ;)
Oh gioer widdee, it was character forming! In fact, it's probably only my formative years running ragged and barefoot around the hills of Heeley and Meersbrook that's enabled me to survive the last two winters with no central heating :D

Once a copper allways a B******. As a special constable 20 years ago I saw many coppers over stepping the mark and assulting prisioners. I was told once to keep my trap shut when a smack head got a beating whilst not resisting arrest. The police doctor was appalled with what he saw and I never re applied for the regular police. The good coppers turn a blind eye rather than get sent to coventry. They are part of the rot.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. Although you might have felt an inimical atmosphere, for whatever reasons, most people were still more mannerly, respectful of one another and not so aggressive as today.

But I wasn't referring back to the near past. Things started going pear shaped probably about the time you were first living here , so you have little basis on which to compare. I'm thinking about, and probably so is Fareast, as he's pretty much a contemporary of mine, the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I'm not saying everything in the garden was rosy, but in comparison to today it was positively halcyon.

People have been saying exactly the same thing for over 3000 years.

Yet here we are. Life expectancy, education, health and nutrition all measurably better than 100 years ago.

It's a tendency of age, not of the world.

Archived