Is driving economically potentially dangerous?

show me a way to drive economically in the UK and I'll be your friend for life.

Sheffield is a hilly city, that means you can shift gear into neutral and conserve fuel going downhill, but not switch off engine, which is dangerous. That's the good news. The bad news is you have to use fuel to power your car going up the same hills. Some of them are steep, and you will have to step on it. Stepping on it means you use more fuel.

In all cars from way back to the late 80s, the brake pedal will work without engine assist at all times. For the first two uses of the brake pedal AFTER the engine is cut out there is no discernable difference in effort required as there is still sufficient pressure in the servo to allow normal operation.

Jeeezzzzzz....never heard such codswallop!!

So you recommend driving dangerously?

The brakes and power steering are almost useless after the engine cuts off.

In answer to the OP.......yes it seems driving economically is potentially dangerous if you take advice from some of the drivers on here.

If you simply drive without excess "foot on the gas" and avoid heavy braking by lifting that same foot early you will save on fuel costs.

I'm desperately trying to save money on fuel as it's just not feasible to work anymore.

I've been told that coasting is more dangerous as you have less control of your car, but i still feel in control and you are actually more cautious as you'll allow greater stopping distances.

And does engine braking use more fuel? All seems rather vague so thought I'd pose the question and start a debate for you know it alls:)

Coasting isn't more efficient, and in theory it's not as controlled. Keep your car in gear.

Not sure about using no fuel algy, but no foot on the accelarator will use no more fuel than coasting. Coasting is definately dangerous as you have no control over speed whatsoever..not to mention the consequences should the engine stop running ( no power assisted brakes/power steering).

Don't do it!!!

It's no fuel. A modern injection engine uses no fuel when being turned over by the car speed and with the throttle closed.

I can't see how the consequences of an engine failure are worse if you're coasting though, they're not good either way.

Don't coast, just drive more slowly.

On the motorway stick to 65 rather than 70 - a 100 mile journey will only take you only 7 minutes longer but could save you about 10% on the fuel you use. Going at 60 would take you around 15 minutes more but could save you even more fuel.

On long journeys I can get 64 mpg if I go about 65mph - at 70 I will get 57 or 58.

show me a way to drive economically in the UK and I'll be your friend for life.

Sheffield is a hilly city, that means you can shift gear into neutral and conserve fuel going downhill,

Wasting fuel compared to going downhill in gear, but not touching the accelerator.

It's amazing how many people don't understand how their engine actually works.

Jeeezzzzzz....never heard such codswallop!!

So you recommend driving dangerously?

The brakes and power steering are almost useless after the engine cuts off.

What he said was accurate. He didn't recommend anything, he just corrected the statement about the brakes.

It's no fuel. A modern injection engine uses no fuel when being turned over by the car speed and with the throttle closed.

I can't see how the consequences of an engine failure are worse if you're coasting though, they're not good either way.

If the engine stalls during normal driving the car will slow down and eventually stop because of engine braking.

If the engine stalls whilst coasting the car won’t have engine breaking so won’t slow down, In either case the brakes and steering will be less affective, so if the engine stales its better if the car is in gear with the clutch up so that the car slows immediately.

The brakes will be normally effective, see previous posts.

If someone is coasting downhill they will be using the brake to control the speed, if the engine stales they are unlikely to notice immediately and will continues touching the brake to control the speed, after they have used the brake a couple of times it will become less affective, its likely they will only notice the engine as stalled when the brakes and steering become difficult to use.

Archived