Is driving economically potentially dangerous?

you can coast in neutral in Sheffield right from the top of Ringinglow down towards the valley floor at about where the Mcdonalds is on Granville Rd, which is what about 8 miles, though you will lose speed as Ecclesall Road flattens out and you will usually have to go round the roundabout at Moore St the wrong way to make the last part of descent. I did this once when I ran out petrol. But at that roundabout, it's unlikely you'll have enough momentum to bear left, you have to illegally turn right. Obviously you're going to use less fuel in neutral than in gear.

No, that isn't true. How many times must this be repeated.

You use more fuel coasting downhill in neutral than you do in gear.

Go and read about modern injection engines before making any more statements about a subject you clearly don't understand.

In either case the brakes and steering will be less affective, so if the engine stales its better if the car is in gear with the clutch up so that the car slows immediately.
Depends on the circumstances, you cannot generalise to that extent. It could actually prove quite dangerous in a queue of moving traffic, as the car would likely 'kangaroo' straight away (and continue to do so if the engine isn't immediately jump-started by the clutched-in gear), with no brake lights.

The brakes will be normally effective, see previous posts.
Depends on the car.

You can't really associate coasting with engine stalling or engine failure. It could happens, but chances should be really, really slim if your car is in good mechanical order. If your engine stalls because/when you're coasting, then there's something wrong with your timing to begin with.

Try an older Citroën with full hydro system all-around and no redundancy systems, just after an engine failure (terminal failure, timing belt snapped), in the middle of heavy motorway roadworks on a cold, very foggy winter morning ;)

One car at 70 mph with little to no steering, no brakes whatsoever and harder shocks than an F1 :thumbsup:

Thank God for inertia ('coasting'), is all I'll say. Just made it to the first 10 yards of the coned-in exit slip road :D

What a stupid post. No engine means no servo.

That means your vehicle won't stop

Idiot post of the year.

The servo holds pressure after the engine stops for quite some time or for a couple of pedal presses.

Sorry, you're post is the stupid one.

You wouldn't notice if your engine stopped? You've got bigger problems than whether you coast or not then.

I'd notice but then I wouldn't coast, but there are plenty of people that don't see other driver’s, so they’re unlikely to see couple of lights coming on telling them the engine as stalled.

Depends on the circumstances, you cannot generalise to that extent. It could actually prove quite dangerous in a queue of moving traffic, as the car would likely 'kangaroo' straight away (and continue to do so if the engine isn't immediately jump-started by the clutched-in gear), with no brake lights.

Depends on the car.

That's why I said normally and not always.

Depends on the car.

You can't really associate coasting with engine stalling or engine failure. It could happens, but chances should be really, really slim if your car is in good mechanical order. If your engine stalls because/when you're coasting, then there's something wrong with your timing to begin with.

Try an older Citroën with full hydro system all-around and no redundancy systems, just after an engine failure (terminal failure, timing belt snapped), in the middle of heavy motorway roadworks on a cold, very foggy winter morning ;)

One car at 70 mph with little to no steering, no brakes whatsoever and harder shocks than an F1 :thumbsup:

Thank God for inertia ('coasting'), is all I'll say. Just made it to the first 10 yards of the coned-in exit slip road :D

I wasn’t generalising I was giving a very specific reason why it is better to be in gear as opposed to coasting, in the situation you describe you would simply press your clutch down and allow the car to coast until you restart the engine or pull up in a safe place. The fact that the car judders would tell you it is stalling, if it was already coasting the only warning you would get would be the lights coming on, it’s unlikely that you would hear the engine stop because of road noise and stereos.

Archived