Train times from London after seeing Shrek the Musical

Hi, Not sure where this fits but here goes...

I've booked to see Shrek in London with my son for his birthday and I have a dilemma about transport.

I've been told the show finishes at 10 and it's at the Theatre Royal on Drury Lane. The train to Sheffield is at 10.25 from St. Pancras.

Has anyone been to this show and managed to catch that train back??? I think it's really tight, but I can't cope with bringing my son back on a 5 hour post train (which leaves at 11pm)

If anyone has been to see it, can you remember what time you got out of the theatre?

Thanks so much

Hi there

I lived in London for a looong time and it's simply going to be impossible for you to make the train. I tried a few times, and the best you can manage is about 10:35...

And that's with a perfect journey (getting out of the theater, the show finishing on time, etc).

Thanks Karis, I think I'll have to leave a little early, which is a shame. Sorry to bother you, but would you say taxi quicker than tube from Covent Garden? I think the tube is quicker but then it's a run all the way from the tube at Kings Cross....

I've done both. Leaving early is such a shame and makes the whole thing not really worth it.

I'd sincerely advise NOT going if you can't take a leisurely trip back as it just spoils the whole day for your son and even leaving early, if you don't know the exact route, you could still end up missing the train.

But, there IS the coach option, which takes 4 hours, but is a lot less stressful.

BTW, a taxi is a disaster, all the theaters kicking out means the whole area is just backlogged.

Hi Alyj. Could'nt you book a travelodge (or similar) for the night? That way you would'nt have to leave early and you could see the sights the following day. I've been a few times to london with my partner to see shows and we have stayed over,its much easier. But if that is'nt an option you will struggle getting back as the transport system down there is a bit of a nightmare at the best of times. Hope this helps.

Archived