The Hare & Hounds, Dore

It seems a shame that Dore and Totley doesn't really have one decent pub worth visiting. I like real ale and I know I'm going to get told about how good the crown, cricket is, etc. But for me there's no really good pub just for a quiet drink at a REASONABLE price. I can understand that they'd all go down the food route, which they all seem to have, yet just a sensible ale house would IMHO have the edge over all of them. Off thread I know but is the heatherfield club still open and do they offer any real ale?

Not having a go at you, I'm told that the Dev is OK, and that the Cross Scythes is good, I can't corroborate as I haven't been in either for years. As for Heatherfield Club, I would rather drink in a chapel of rest.

The Hare & Hounds in Dore has a dual personality. One bar full of a younger drinking crowd - the other bar full of sofa's, easy chairs and a set and rinse brigade of older folks who come to chat and relax.

The food is very ordinary - I won't insult it further.

They have a couple of guest beers on - usually nothing fantastic - not even erring towards the really good local breweries.

If I wanted to go for a drink and have a quiet chat with someone I may go there. But if I wanted to have a wider choice of drinks and not to be concerned about an intimate quiet atmosphere I'd go to the Dev.

And if I wanted to spend at least 50p more per pint and have an extortionately priced meal served on a cheeseboard I'd go to the Cricket Inn. (It is nice in summer out the back though).

And if I wanted to pretend that I was drinking good real ale and eating good bistro food I'd go to the Cross Scythes.

The Hare & Hounds in Dore has a dual personality. One bar full of a younger drinking crowd - the other bar full of sofa's, easy chairs and a set and rinse brigade of older folks who come to chat and relax.

The food is very ordinary - I won't insult it further.

They have a couple of guest beers on - usually nothing fantastic - not even erring towards the really good local breweries.

If I wanted to go for a drink and have a quiet chat with someone I may go there. But if I wanted to have a wider choice of drinks and not to be concerned about an intimate quiet atmosphere I'd go to the Dev.

And if I wanted to spend at least 50p more per pint and have an extortionately priced meal served on a cheeseboard I'd go to the Cricket Inn. (It is nice in summer out the back though).

And if I wanted to pretend that I was drinking good real ale and eating good bistro food I'd go to the Cross Scythes.

And if you wanted to pretend that you are council estate and proud of it, and have chav kids, you would go to the Shepley Spitfire.

I've not been in the ****ley Spetfire for years. Is it still that bad then?

The days of crap service and no ale have long done!

The only way to find out, is to pop in and have a look!

• 2 years later...

I absolutely agree. Went a couple of weeks ago as a party of 6 for a special reunion, in my entire life I have never had food as appalling as that day! We each had various roasts, all of which were equally as bad. Warmed up frozen veg/potatoes in warmed up Yorkshire puddings that you could barely cut as they were rock hard. Everyone left the vast part of the meal, leaving us to go home and had to cook again. As a positive a complaint to the manager was dealt with politely however she was clearly embarrassed and understood exactly the points that were made. The table was finally cleared in the presence of the manager and after our guests had left, with most of the meal for the bin! I cannot believe an establishment would serve up such trash and expect to stay in business. A trip to the ladies then compounded then insult with no loo roll in any of the toilets. We used to be regulars at H&H for early evening bar, but the welcome for drinkers faded with the refurbishment. We shall not grace the establishment with our presence, nor boost its profits with our custom again. Don't venture here under any circumstances, your valued cash would be better put down a grate!

The Hare & Hounds is part of the 'Oak Tree Pubs' chain, owned by Mitchell & Butler. http://www.mbplc.com/ourbrands/oaktree/

It is designed as a 'local community boozer with food' offering budget prices and the level of quality that goes with it - the kind of market Wetherspoons serve. Like Wetherspoons its a standard menu served nationally and distributed chilled/frozen from a central production facility. The burgers are actually pretty good though to be fair.

Food is average, beer range average, service OK, price reflects this - as long as you understand that before you go then its fine.

If you want higher class pub dining in the area there is always the Cricket Inn or Cross Scythes.

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 15:03 ----------

I've not been in the ****ley Spetfire for years. Is it still that bad then?

Shepley Spitfire is a decent local these days. Nice, comfy and friendly. Still owned by Greene King though.

Archived