Should S17 be returned to Derbyshire

Bring back the Ridings I say. I still can't believe the Heath government had the audacity to destroy something that had existed since the Vikings ran the place. It couldn't happen anywhere but here, and probably couldn't happen here nowadays, government being more accountable and all.

This is the West Riding by the way, for those who don't realise that South Yorkshire is just an artificial Tory construct, which only came into being in 1974.

Even pre-1974, Sheffield Corporation was a CBC (County Borough Council) and never formally part of the West Riding.

Yeah she was an old thug weren't she but not brave enough to go int' front door at cutlers hall:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I recall a function there where this building society manager who was well known to be the king of the owt for nowt brigade, got his comeuppance. He ate all drunk all, and as usual, paid nowt owt, however he woke up under one of the tables at circa 3:00 am and set the alarms off, I bet the police had a right laugh. :hihi:

Bring back the Ridings I say. I still can't believe the Heath government had the audacity to destroy something that had existed since the Vikings ran the place. It couldn't happen anywhere but here, and probably couldn't happen here nowadays, government being more accountable and all.

This is the West Riding by the way, for those who don't realise that South Yorkshire is just an artificial Tory construct, which only came into being in 1974.

I must admit that I felt a lot better as a Yorkshire man, residing in the West Riding, than I do about being a South Yorkshire man.

Even pre-1974, Sheffield Corporation was a CBC (County Borough Council) and never formally part of the West Riding.

He's not on about the council. he's on about the city of Sheffield and it was in the West Riding. Yorkshire consisted of three ridings (third parts) and as Sheffield was in Yorkshire it had to be in one of them, try and keep up:roll::roll:

He's not on about the council. he's on about the city of Sheffield and it was in the West Riding. Yorkshire consisted of three ridings (third parts) and as Sheffield was in Yorkshire it had to be in one of them, try and keep up:roll::roll:

Some folk are a lot younger than you and Den dear, they don't know about the history :P

He's not on about the council. he's on about the city of Sheffield and it was in the West Riding. Yorkshire consisted of three ridings (third parts) and as Sheffield was in Yorkshire it had to be in one of them, try and keep up

Still no. Sheffield was a CBC, effectively a self-contained city akin to what's now called a Unitary Authority.

WRCC had no role or functions here. Look and learn!

[Plus who'd want to be in the same county as Leeds, anyway?]

Still no. Sheffield was a CBC, effectively a self-contained city akin to what's now called a Unitary Authority.

WRCC had no role or functions here. Look and learn!

[Plus who'd want to be in the same county as Leeds, anyway?]

Geographically Sheffield was in the West Riding - administratively it didn't have anything to do with the West Riding (apart from Stocksbridge and South Wortley which didn't come under Sheffield until 1974).

I can't understand why the usual suspects haven't accused you of being a snob ridden, tory, child eater, for suggesting such a thing. :rolleyes:

Archived