Should S17 be returned to Derbyshire

Maybe this "You poor wretches should be thankful for my prosperity, you couldn't live without me" attitude is why some people feel animosity towards the residents of Dore and Totley. You hardly sound like a great advertisement for them

You have edited my post in your first quote, this is against forum rules.

You have edited my post in your first quote, this is against forum rules.

I have nothing against the people from S17. I don't know any, and I have only ever passed through there a couple of times. It seems nice. I am simply saying that from your posts in this thread you give off a certain impression that you think of yourself in a rather lofty light.

I added the traditional three punctuation stops to imply that I was leaving out a part of your post I wasn't referring to. Feel free to contact the moderator if you believe this contravenes the Sheffield Forum rules. I am sorry for any offence I have caused

DERBYSHIRE:

Dore/Totley came into Sheffield in 1935.

Mosborough/Halfway/Beighton came into Sheffield in 1967/8: see The Sheffield Order 1967 [sI 1967/104]: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1967/feb/27/local-government-boundaries-sheffield.

YORKSHIRE (WEST RIDING):

Stocksbridge/Wortley came into Sheffield on 1 April 1974: see the Local Government Act 1972.

DERBYSHIRE:

Dore/Totley came into Sheffield in 1935.

Mosborough/Halfway/Beighton came into Sheffield in 1967/8: see The Sheffield Order 1967 [sI 1967/104]: http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1967/feb/27/local-government-boundaries-sheffield.

YORKSHIRE (WEST RIDING):

Stocksbridge/Wortley came into Sheffield on 1 April 1974: see the Local Government Act 1972.

Were Stocksbridge and Wortley autonomous, and did Penistone join Sheffield with them?

The phrase 'The grass is always greener on the other side' springs to mind here.

If you want to live in Derbyshire, go live in Derbyshire. If not, stay in Yorkshire. It's that simple! ;)

I would be living in Derbyshire if Sheffield hadn't nicked what is now S17. Totley still competes at football in the Hope Valley league, and I think in cricket.

The boundaries commission has much to answer for. :(

I would be living in Derbyshire if Sheffield hadn't nicked what is now S17. Totley still competes at football in the Hope Valley league, and I think in cricket.

Did they really "nick" it though? If I am not mistaken, they have to ask residents of the area if they would like to move it or not, this is why places like Thorpe Hesley moved across to Rotherham in 1974, yet Killamarsh remained in Derbyshire as they didn't want to become part of Sheffield.

People have a choice, and obviously they chose in favour of Sheffield/Yorkshire. It's too late to start whinging now, all these years later. Like I said, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Did they really "nick" it though? If I am not mistaken, they have to ask residents of the area if they would like to move it or not, this is why places like Thorpe Hesley moved across to Rotherham in 1974, yet Killamarsh remained in Derbyshire as they didn't want to become part of Sheffield.

People have a choice, and obviously they chose in favour of Sheffield/Yorkshire. It's too late to start whinging now, all these years later. Like I said, the grass is always greener on the other side.

A good point, the only person who would know for sure is Brian Edwards (historian and artist). There weren't a lot of human rights about in 1935, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done without discussion.

And less of the 'whinging' accusations, we are having a discussion, not an argument, there's a good lad.

Was it not Yorkshire when you moved in?

Archived