Best car breakdown cover for transporting dogs?

katkin

OK, I'm hoping it never comes to this but seeing ad we recently had a flat tyre whilst out with Ailsa (but thankfully we were close enough to limp home)...

Its coming up to annual jollies time and car breakdown renewal. Previously we have had RAC cover (and when we had the A Class, merc's own equivalent), but Im never too sure what their line is on transporting pets in the event that they cant get your own car going and have to drive you to your destination. Looking at AA, GreenFlag and the Co-op breakdown cover online, their policies are deliberately vague about whether they will definitely transport the family dog or not, so I would be very interested to hear your experiences please, before we fork out the dosh!

Well, I've had 2 responses so far

Green Flag say:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your E-mail, This is at the discretion of the garage that

attends to you at the time of breakdown. If you were to have a breakdown

when you call through to our control room you would need to inform them of

a pet travelling with you, we would then attempt to find a garage who are

comfortable with transporting the pet, however we cannot guarantee this.

I hope this is of assistance to you, if you have any further queries please

do not hesitate to contact us.'

whereas the RAC's stance is:

"Thank you for your email.

With regards to your dog & cat , our terms of membership state, if there are any

domestic animals in your vehicle, their onward transportation is at our discretion

and solely at your risk.

We will not insure any animals during any onward transportation.

Unless there is a safety issue, guide dogs for the blind will always be transported

with their owners.

I hope the above information is of help".

... so there's still that niggling doubt about whether or not they would transport a dog or other pet, but at least green flag might send a carrier who is happy to, if requested.

We always travel with a harness/ dog seat belt atachment; emergency muzzle lead and collar; and she is fully insured and vaccinated so hopefully that would reassure any potential carrier

the daft thing is, if you were stuck on the motorway in the pouring rain in the middle of the night and your breakdown cover carrier refused to transport your dog, what on earth do they expect you to do, leave it there? Or perhaps they think you should walk to the nearest service station!

When we broke down, the AA insisted on towing the vehicle with Brude still inside - complete with recent spinal injury :mad:

He wasn't allowed to travel in the cab of the recovery truck with me, although there was room for him to do so in his crate

The AA have since abandoned their larger vehicles in favour of transit vans which can only tow, so at least Brude won't have to be dragged up the back of a transporter at a 45 degree angle again

I'm so glad Brude travels crated though - I can't imagine how we'd have managed that scenario with him only seatbelted in, or the alternatives on the A1 (where there's no hard shoulder)

When I broke down on the M180 with my 2 dogs safely behind the dog guard in the back of my car, the AA man also insisted on them staying in the car. He was a lovely guy though, made sure they had a few windows down to stay cool and explained they can't ride up in the cab due to dog hair etc. It may be that they're next call out could be to someone who has allergies or even a family who child is allergic and they can't run that risk.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, I work for a large recovery operator and the way we transport dogs cats etc is exactly they way you did prior to breaking down. The reasons are next customer may have allergys to dogs cats etc and also control of animals ie we don't want yapping barking dogs in vans as they can be distracting or at worst jump around.

As a dog owner myself I woulden't dream of transporting dogs in other peoples vehicle's

But I can tell you I've seen a lot of bad owners who let the dog constantly bark, pulled up to people at traffic lights and the dogs running riot in the car jumping in out of drivers lap, and last job I went to a woman who had a car that stunk it was absolutely filthy inside it was that bad I almost refused to lean in and take the handbrake off. HTH

Take it as this your pet should stay in your vehicle when being recovered after all it got that far before you broke down.

• 10 months later...

We leave the animal in the car or vehicle that is broken down as per the AA guy, I too are a dog owner (great dane/Lab) its the safest for hem i wouldnt want to transfer animals over on the motorway non have animal fur/hair over the truck for the next person

Bit harsh i know rules are rules

Archived