Backup your Data

If you don't have a backup, then get one sorted out right now.

Time after time you see threads in the computer section asking about data recovery, and more often than not the poster is disappointed and has lost valuable work or years of photos.

It will almost certainly happen to you, it happens to everyone, accidentally deleting something, disk failure, theft, fire... Any of these things can render your data irrecoverable.

At the very least, get an external USB drive and periodically take a copy of your important data.

Better would be to setup a scheduled backup of some kind, they're quite easy to do, and ideally to two different locations. After all if it is a house fire that destroys your data, it's going to destroy that USB drive sat next to your PC as well.

This isn't in the computer section because the people that need to read it probably don't read that section.

I agree I've had an I.T. nightmare alately. Killed my lap top and lost loads of work, a complete nightmare. Replacement didn't work properly. Replacement of replacement didn'[t work and now replacement of replacement of replacement is in the repair shop.

Luckily I always email myself important files so whatever happens they're available. I haven't done this for a few weeks though and that's where the lost work came from.....:(

Yes, i always back-up everything- especially as it seems that everyone stores all there photos digitally now, if i go away for the weekend i take my external HD in my bag or put it in my car as extra insurance.

Just buy a USB drive and copy everything onto it periodically, that isn't a technically complex task and at least means you won't loose everything in the event of a disaster.

I have a terrabyte external - id I leave it plugged into the pc is it at risk???? I really don't know much

Recently seen a power surge take out a PC and the external USB backup drive.

I'd advise either a UPS, or a surge proteced socket strip, plu smake sure that you frequesntly take copies of the data on your drive(s) (including external ones) onto another drive that can be kept off site.

I have a 1Tb NAS drive, with a USB port.

I frequently (after updating the drive) take a copy to a USB drive (NAS has a USB port) which is kept off site.

No fancy software used, other than MS Robocopy (robocopy "source" "destination" /mir /w:0 /r:0).

Just buy a USB drive and copy everything onto it periodically, that isn't a technically complex task and at least means you won't loose everything in the event of a disaster.

Rather than having to copy things, I'd advise any non-technical users to download and install fbackup (free) then download any plugins that match your software from here (fbackup can use plugins for the companies commercial app;)).

Then you can set it to perform a backup on an automated basis, and can back up to local, networked or remote media (ftp).

Archived