Old Sheffield Pocket Knife

Digger

Hi

I bought an old bone handled pocket knife today at a jumble sale in South Australia. It was very rusty, but after cleaning it up for a couple of hours, it revealed that it has a "Cast Steel" blade and was made by John Hallam of SHEFFIELD. It still has a very keen edge.

Does anyone know anything about this cutler, or when he might have made this knife?

John Hallam is not listed in the alphabetical list of companies in Geoffrey Tweedale's 'The Sheffield Knife Book'. I can't do a comprehensive check, though, because there is no index :rolleyes:

Not listed in White's 1852 Directory. Not listed in White's 1919/20 Directory either.

1901 census index has 9 adult John HALLAMs in Sheffield. Three are grinders, but I don't think they would have had their own name on blades.

There are these two, father and son, in the 1891 census:

ref: piece 3826 e.d.7 folio 6

193 Bernard St (Sheffield Park)

Hallam John Thomas Head Marr 66 spring knife cutler [born:]YKS Sheffield

Hallam John Son Unm 44 spring knife cutler YKS Sheffield

(same address in 1881)

In 1881 there is also a John HALLAM, table knife cutler aged 36 at 17 Rockingham St.

Hugh

Hi Pop

Could you give me some idea of what a "Stannington Knife" is?

Is it a TYPE of knife, or a BRAND of knife.

The one I have is clearly (after cleaning off the rust) branded -

"JOHN HALLAM

SHEFFIELD"

It has a slightly curved handle with a fairly broad slightly hooked blade, that stands well out of the handle when closed. The handle is made from animal horn or antler.

I believe it might have been used for skinning rabbits.

Thanks for your comments, Pop.

:)

Many cutlers of those days would diversify by turning out such knives as the one you talk of and the craftsmen would often make pocket knives for themselves or as gifts using left over materials from an order. So it's possible that firm of one of the John Hallams menioned by Hugh could be where your knife was made.

Hi Digger

A Stannington knife was just a long shot if someone didn't find the Hallm name amongst the cutlers of Sheffield.

Some of the farmers in the rural area of Stannington (Now in Sheffield) produced pocket and general use knives as a second living.

The Sheffield always complained about these knives and told everyone they were of inferior quality.

I couldn't verify that, but my wife's family turned their hand to

producing files, knives, razors and all sorts of grinding.

Hope this clears up your enquiry, but it looks as if my lead was a 'red herring' in light of the info that others have uncovered

Happy Days!

Thanks Pop - now I get what you meant!

Although no-one seems to know of a John Hallam as a knife maker, someone on another forum has identified my pocket knife as a rose and vine pruning knife, so I guess it could well have been made by a farmer!

I guess I had imagined all the cutlers of Sheffield to have been "known" in some way, whereas, what you have shed some light on, is the fact that there were numerous "cottage industries" in the area, so it was like a "culture" of cutlers and knife makers, rather than ALL being from larger factories.

Cheers:)