Should Chesterfield, Barnsley, Rotherham etc become 'Greater Sheffield'?

Chesterfield is also part of the Sheffield City Region. However you ask Joe Bloggs on the street in Chesterfield if they would want to be part of Greater Sheffield and the answer would be a resounding no. Not that Chesterfield has anything against Sheffield, its just Chesterfield proudly likes its own identity.

you cannot include chesterfield as it is in derbyshire not yorkshire

Why?

Greater London includes parts of Essex, Middlesex, Surrey and Kent (at least). The old Greater Manchester had parts of both Lancashire and Cheshire.

Personally don't think a "Greater Sheffield" is a feasible - it isn't one continuous urban area (it's largely rural), and Sheffield certainly isn't viewed as a "regional centre" by most people in Barnsley, Doncaster and Chesterfield.

Wrong and almost wrong (respectively). The county of South Yorkshire certainly still exists. All that was abolished by the Local Government Act 1984 (effective 31 March 1985) was the County Council.

So how am I "almost wrong?" That's exactly what I posted, apart from getting the dates out by a year.

Would Rotherham, Barnsley, Chesterfield and Doncaster actually want to become part of "Greater Sheffield" though? I'd think not personally, and even Barnsley is now included in the Leeds area, and is included as part of the Leeds City Region. Now wouldn't it be funny if Rotherham, our closest neighbour, did the same thing... :hihi:

Most most Sheffielders want them???

Like Manchester has its surrounding towns branded as Greater Manchester, do you think a Greater Sheffield would make us more competitive economically and put us more on the map?

would we have to wear barnsley shell suits?

Archived