Why is the patients' food at the NGH so bad ?

I recently had a relative in the NGH for a major operation. The nursing care was excellent, but the patients food was terrible !! It sounded marvellous on the menu, but when it arrived it was tasteless, dry and unappetising. I was told (dont know whether this is true) that prisoners in jail have more allowed in money terms, for meals than hospital patients. !!

Surely when a person is recovering from an illness they need all the nutrition possible eg: vitamins, protein and minerals.. One of the nurses told me to complain, (and I will) but will it do any good?

Has anyone else had a relative in the NGH ? What did you think of the meals ?

I recently had a relative in the NGH for a major operation. The nursing care was excellent, but the patients food was terrible !! It sounded marvellous on the menu, but when it arrived it was tasteless, dry and unappetising. I was told (dont know whether this is true) that prisoners in jail have more allowed in money terms, for meals than hospital patients. !!

Surely when a person is recovering from an illness they need all the nutrition possible eg: vitamins, protein and minerals.. One of the nurses told me to complain, (and I will) but will it do any good?

There was a dispatches program about this recently its quite common in hospitals. I think it comes from poor food being stored then reheated for far too long:gag: The food in Derby hospital was utterly rank. However if you don't complain they won't change it, the cardboard food is very cheap.

Ps I think it is true that prisoners get more spent on their meals, I think that was in the documentary.

There was a dispatches program about this recently its quite common in hospitals. I think it comes from poor food being stored then reheated for far too long:gag: The food in Derby hospital was utterly rank. However if you don't complain they won't change it, the cardboard food is very cheap.

Ps I think it is true that prisoners get more spent on their meals, I think that was in the documentary.

A nurse at the NGH told me that all the meals come, ready cooked, in sealed plastic packs, which then go into a trolley to be heated up. BUT I have been in posh restuarants where they have done this, and passed it off as being cooked fresh on the premises, and its been very tasty.

I do feel strongly about this and shall be writing a letter of complaint this week. Trouble is not enough people will complain !!

my OH was in Jessops last month and the food was tasteless, they served syrup sponge and custard, i have never known syrup sponge to be tastleess!!!

My relative was asked did they want a steamed sponge dessert, with or without custard !! Is there such a thing !!:huh:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/episode-guide/series-81/episode-1

Watch this-it is disgusting in both a :gag: and :rant: manner!

and there are pictures to go with it.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/pictures/hospital-food/79939036-9917-4f1b-a392-70857f6fbd02

although the food at derby was worse than the pictures, although everyone note the cheese and cucumber sandwich:hihi:

When I was in the RHH for the big operation that I had (granted it was a few years ago now) the food was on a 2-week rota, so if there are 3 main choices on each menu and you've been in for 6 weeks, you've tried everything on the menu. If, like me, you're in for 2 months and can remember how bad Week2, Day1's menu was then you know that you're in for the same food in another fortnight, which at the time was rather soul destroying.

What astonished me was that there was no fresh fruit of any description on the menu at any time of day (I believe that a standard for this has since been introduced) and that the fresh vegetables that were on the menu were always cooked until there can have been precious few nutrients left in them.

I was lucky that I had visitors to bring me fresh fruit and also have a sister who used to phone up the ward with messages like 'Foyer, 2pm, be there' and then do a jail break to take me for a curry, and she even found a curry house which was happy to have me as a customer complete with drains, drip stand and the works. Without her I think I'd have gone just a little bit doolally.

When I was in the RHH for the big operation that I had (granted it was a few years ago now) the food was on a 2-week rota, so if there are 3 main choices on each menu and you've been in for 6 weeks, you've tried everything on the menu. If, like me, you're in for 2 months and can remember how bad Week2, Day1's menu was then you know that you're in for the same food in another fortnight, which at the time was rather soul destroying.

What astonished me was that there was no fresh fruit of any description on the menu at any time of day (I believe that a standard for this has since been introduced) and that the fresh vegetables that were on the menu were always cooked until there can have been precious few nutrients left in them.

I was lucky that I had visitors to bring me fresh fruit and also have a sister who used to phone up the ward with messages like 'Foyer, 2pm, be there' and then do a jail break to take me for a curry, and she even found a curry house which was happy to have me as a customer complete with drains, drip stand and the works. Without her I think I'd have gone just a little bit doolally.

Did you really leave the hospital to go to a curry house?? With drains and a drip stand?

It is true because I was in for a week and the food was dire.I lost quite a bit of weight but that was preferable to being poisoned.

Did you really leave the hospital to go to a curry house?? With drains and a drip stand?

Yep- 4 or 5 times. The ward manager delivered my sister's messages and helped me to the lift with all my attached bits, so it's not like she didn't know about it.

I was bored, frustrated and very angry in hospital (with no TV, no radio signal and seriously limited mobility) and only needed to be there 3 times a day for medication and wound dressings, so nipping out for a therapeutic curry and a chat with my sister did me the world of good- and the ward manager knew that.

Archived