Why is the patients' food at the NGH so bad ?

Seems like nothings changed then at NGH.

When I had my daughter in 1984 the food was dire then. My mum used to visit me every day and bring in sandwiches and soup just so that I had something to eat!!

I understood that hospitals don't allow people to bring in their own food these days (or maybe I've just made that up!!! LOL).

All I know is that considering I was in before and after having my daughter there was never any nutritious food for pregnant women. We did complain about it at the time but nothing happened. It always amazed me too how salt and pepper were always on the meal tables too (mind you they did add a bit of taste to the food!).

I was in for six days, and can agree with everything that has been said. The food was inedible, and in the end I just didn't order anything, just had cups of tea. I lost nearly a stone in 7 days.

Whilst I cant disagree that hospital food is pretty poor. Hospitals are no different to most "institutions"............ lots of mouths to feed, having to ensure a selection that covers all dietary, medical and equal opportunities guidelines, little time to plan, prepare and deliver meals and most importantly peanuts budget to cover it all.

The question is - What is the solution?

Private catering? Perhaps Little Chef or McDonalds could take over the catering services at NHS. Would that be a preferred option? McDs are already found in some american hospitals.

Maybe they should let patients bring in home prepared or bought in food as long as they get clearance from the docs/nurses first. I thought they already did that anyway. I have always taken things in for my relatives when visitiing.

Whilst I cant disagree that hospital food is pretty poor. Hospitals are no different to most "institutions"............ lots of mouths to feed, having to ensure a selection that covers all dietary, medical and equal opportunities guidelines, little time to plan, prepare and deliver meals and most importantly peanuts budget to cover it all.

Private catering? Perhaps Little Chef or McDonalds could take over the catering services at NHS. Would that be a preferred option? McDs are already found in some american hospitals.

Maybe they should let patients bring in home prepared or bought in food as long as they get clearance from the docs/nurses first. I thought they already did that anyway. I have always taken things in for my relatives when visitiing.

Well Jamie Oliver looked at school meals, maybe he should move on to hospital food ?

Hospital food is awful, as is the stuff in nursing homes. Like Pat said once someone is recovering you would expect them to be fed the necessary vitamins and minerals etc to make them better. Once my Granny had had her hip op and ended up in a horrible care home to recover we paid extra for her to have hot meals. The other patients would get sandwiches, biscuits and scones and for the extra money my Granny would instead get... a can of lukewarm Heinz ravioli. She didn't even know what it was!!

Well Jamie Oliver looked at school meals, maybe he should move on to hospital food ?

Thats what Heston Blumenthal did - pizzas with worms on, if I remember correctly, but the kids liked em!

I have regular stays in hospital as I have bad chest problems. At a recent stay in NGH I was amazed that you can smell delicious cooking smells all over the hospital, but when you get your meal,it dosn't resemble edible food whatsoever.

Same in the Hally,but this is made worse when they serve it up in dog bowls!!

Yes,you heard it,Dog bowls,I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it,and flatly refused to eat the indescribable muck you were expected to recover on.

I am going to have to be very sick indeed to spend any more time in any NHS hospital.

They manage in prisons and schools. It is not hard to make cheap tasty nutrient full food particularly in bulk.

I took frozen drinks in (as the thermostat was always just below boiling point) and cold pizza/fruit etc

I have regular stays in hospital as I have bad chest problems. At a recent stay in NGH I was amazed that you can smell delicious cooking smells all over the hospital, but when you get your meal,it dosn't resemble edible food whatsoever.

Same in the Hally,but this is made worse when they serve it up in dog bowls!!

Yes,you heard it,Dog bowls,I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it,and flatly refused to eat the indescribable muck you were expected to recover on.

I am going to have to be very sick indeed to spend any more time in any NHS hospital.

That will be the canteen food, I think that is sometimes cooked fresh rather than coming from a factory. Its not like the staff will eat what the patients get is it!

Take in dried foods and get boiling water from them. Cup-a-soups and pot noodles are better than a lot of the "food".

Archived