Why is the patients' food at the NGH so bad ?

They manage in prisons and schools. It is not hard to make cheap tasty nutrient full food particularly in bulk.

I took frozen drinks in (as the thermostat was always just below boiling point) and cold pizza/fruit etc

But they dont manage do they. That's why everyone moans about poor school food manufactured in bult for a rock bottom price. That was the whole point of Jamie Oliver tv show.

I dont recall many parents being delighted with the quality of their kids' meals?

I came out of Firth 9 in NGH last week after a 2 week stay. I didn't think the food was that bad, especially considering how many people they have to cater for.

In any case it's free, I don't see the need to complain

It isn't free, we pay for it

But they dont manage do they. That's why everyone moans about poor school food manufactured in bult for a rock bottom price. That was the whole point of Jamie Oliver tv show.

I dont recall many parents being delighted with the quality of their kids' meals?

Jamie oliver showed it could be done. That was the actual point of the jamie oliver program.

It requires people cooking not warming things up that have come from a factory.

Apart from anything else, the raw ingredients would be better than a lot of the food the nhs gives out.

My opinion is they desperately need to slim down the menu then cook it on site or at least have it delivered fresh. The menus are huge and ridiculous. One vegan, one veggie and one meat and one fish should cater for everyone sufficiently and give virtually everyone some choice. the menus I saw had about 20 meal options.

Hospital food is awful, as is the stuff in nursing homes. Like Pat said once someone is recovering you would expect them to be fed the necessary vitamins and minerals etc to make them better. Once my Granny had had her hip op and ended up in a horrible care home to recover we paid extra for her to have hot meals. The other patients would get sandwiches, biscuits and scones and for the extra money my Granny would instead get... a can of lukewarm Heinz ravioli. She didn't even know what it was!!

That's just appalling, Tess.

When I was in the NGH 14 months ago, the food was unappetising, utterly dire and barely edible. The care I received was fantastic, the nurses were wonderful, and I cannot complain one little bit about that, but that's not the food.

No,it isn't free,we all pay huge National Health Stamps every week or whatever it is they call it nowadays. I think that if they abolished that,we could all afford private health insurance,and have the pick of the hospitals.

If there was some competition,they would all provide decent food,and you wouldn't have to wait til you drop dead to see a consultant.

I recently had a relative in the NGH for a major operation. The nursing care was excellent, but the patients food was terrible !! It sounded marvellous on the menu, but when it arrived it was tasteless, dry and unappetising. I was told (dont know whether this is true) that prisoners in jail have more allowed in money terms, for meals than hospital patients. !!

Surely when a person is recovering from an illness they need all the nutrition possible eg: vitamins, protein and minerals.. One of the nurses told me to complain, (and I will) but will it do any good?

Has anyone else had a relative in the NGH ? What did you think of the meals ?

I have only been in once, and it was the Hallamshire I went to, but the food was rancid and very low in vegetables that weren't pre frozen and boiled to mush! My dad and my mates bought food in for all my meals - Fruits and soups in flasks, they fed me everything but breakfast, but left a little something for that too, like a couple of apples or some pears... I would have wilted away if I didn't have enough people to feed me! Felt bad for people with no family or mates who can get in every day for them... I was lucky that mates could get foods for me at lunch, as quite a few of my pals worked at Ant Marketing at that time, so wasn't too hard on them to drop something in :)

No,it isn't free,we all pay huge National Health Stamps every week or whatever it is they call it nowadays. I think that if they abolished that,we could all afford private health insurance,and have the pick of the hospitals.

If there was some competition,they would all provide decent food,and you wouldn't have to wait til you drop dead to see a consultant.

That's the idea behind private health, but it's not always how it comes out in practice... Look at America - there you could be shipped abroad for a major op, as your insurance company may not like to share too much of your cash with the medics! You have to have very expensive insurance to get the best care - we have a far better deal in the UK, that's why their president wanted to emulate our model :)

That's the idea behind private health, but it's not always how it comes out in practice... Look at America - there you could be shipped abroad for a major op, as your insurance company may not like to share too much of your cash with the medics! You have to have very expensive insurance to get the best care - we have a far better deal in the UK, that's why their president wanted to emulate our model :)

The president might want to emulate the NHS but the people don't want it.

Archived