Why is the patients' food at the NGH so bad ?

Jamie oliver showed it could be done. That was the actual point of the jamie oliver program.

It requires people cooking not warming things up that have come from a factory.

Apart from anything else, the raw ingredients would be better than a lot of the food the nhs gives out.

But did Jamie show it could be done?? really?. He did I suppose in one place surrounded by TV crew and the might of Channel 4.

I agree people is cooking is far better and that's how it should be. But in reality, people cooking means more staff required. Fresh ingredients supplied and better equipment. All that costs money. Money which is tight.

One place might be able to do it in front of the cameras but its a different story to roll it out nationally with public funds so tight.

Personally I think patient choice should be the way forward. Why not more private suppliers to bring in competion and quality control as they will actually be competing. Why not get rid of the old fashioned canteen and bring in a food court style option with different suppliers. Not only would it enable patients to choose what they want, choose where their meal budget is spent each day it would hopefully mean they actually put some effort into what they supply as you would actually be able to vote with your feet.

But did Jamie show it could be done?? really?. He did I suppose in one place surrounded by TV crew and the might of Channel 4.

I agree people is cooking is far better and that's how it should be. But in reality, people cooking means more staff required. Fresh ingredients supplied and better equipment. All that costs money. Money which is tight.

One place might be able to do it in front of the cameras but its a different story to roll it out nationally with public funds so tight.

Personally I think patient choice should be the way forward. Why not more private suppliers to bring in competion and quality control as they will actually be competing. Why not get rid of the old fashioned canteen and bring in a food court style option with different suppliers. Not only would it enable patients to choose what they want, choose where their meal budget is spent each day it would hopefully mean they actually put some effort into what they supply as you would actually be able to vote with your feet.

Yes private suppliers should bid on the jobs as they do in some schools, they have one year to show what they can do, keeping it within budget, maybe thats what the hospitals do now anyhow.

A nurse at the NGH told me that all the meals come, ready cooked, in sealed plastic packs, which then go into a trolley to be heated up. BUT I have been in posh restuarants where they have done this, and passed it off as being cooked fresh on the premises, and its been very tasty.

I do feel strongly about this and shall be writing a letter of complaint this week. Trouble is not enough people will complain !!

The meals are cooked in a central place within the hospital, plated up and chilled. The plated meals are transported to the wards and are transferred into a warming facility before they are served - this is the 'cook chill' system I believe. Considering the size of the site that the NGH stands on, the system is very effective but the standard of the meals are variable. I am often embarrassed to have to serve them - I would encourage anyone who is dissatisfied with the meals to complain to the Catering Manger whilst they are in hospital - they are obliged to visit you on the ward. Failing that, put your complaint in writing.

I believe that halal meals are in plastic containers are are reheated when ordered.

The president might want to emulate the NHS but the people don't want it.

However, the president has identified that health care in the US needs much change - maybe the people shouldn't dismiss the idea out of hand.

Yes it got rolled out-don't you remember the stupid parents in rotherham was it passing chips through the bars so their fat little darlings didn't have to eat real food!!

Nothing provided by the state ever is, but I think you get the point I'm trying to make. It's not like I have to take in cash with me to be fed.

because you have prepaid for it.

In fact more likely you have paid an extortionate amount for the crud you get because somewhere along the line your money has been siphoned off to pay for shaznays skybox or an mps champagne.

When my late Father was in the NGH for 4 months the food was appalling! He had no appetite anyway and I was trying my best to encourage him to eat , even resorting to 'One spoon for you ' etc. That was with Shepherds Pie . Dear God ! I had never tasting anything so bland and greasy .No wonder he had no appetite bless him . From then on I brought him hot food from home in a food flask.

It can be done though. My husband was rushed to St James Liver unit for emergency surgery in December and the difference was marked. Each ward had its own serving staff. The food was served on china plates and drinks in proper cups. The food was good , three courses mainly soup, meat and veg and a dessert Well cooked and hot and decent size portions. If they can do it , why cant Sheffield Hospitals get it right ?

Archived