Advice Required - Warranty Expires On Car [the consumer has to pay]

In December 2010 my Car obtained a fault which was covered under Warranty, the Dealer that I took it to has had it for over 7 weeks in total over the last 7 months trying to resolve the problem but to no avail. In April 2011 the warranty expired but the Dealer is stating that I have to pay £63 p/hr for them to continue looking for the fault. The Manufacturer is Blaming the Dealer and the dealer is blaming the Manufacturer. In the meantime my car still has the problem and I am frustrated:rant:

I have issued a Notice, Formal Letter of Complaint to which I am awaiting a response but as you can imagine, I am but a small fish in a big pond!

Can anyone advise me on the best solution:confused:

If the fault was reported to the dealer before the warranty ran out then they have to fix it under warranty also if the same fault comes back at a later date it would still be covered by warranty even tho it had expired

In December 2010 my Car obtained a fault which was covered under Warranty, the Dealer that I took it to has had it for over 7 weeks in total over the last 7 months trying to resolve the problem but to no avail. In April 2011 the warranty expired but the Dealer is stating that I have to pay £63 p/hr for them to continue looking for the fault. The Manufacturer is Blaming the Dealer and the dealer is blaming the Manufacturer. In the meantime my car still has the problem and I am frustrated:rant:

I have issued a Notice, Formal Letter of Complaint to which I am awaiting a response but as you can imagine, I am but a small fish in a big pond!

Can anyone advise me on the best solution:confused:

How old is the car...if you bought it new and its just outside the 3 year warranty, you can probably go back to the manufacturer and they may well look favourably on it depending on a few things...age,mileage, service history etc... I used to deal with those sort of cases for a large car company so know how it works.

The Car is 08, I bought it 6 months old not from a Ford dealer but a Large Car Sales place on to the South of Sheffield.

It has FSH but not with a Ford Dealer but with a reputable Garage

Ford customer Services have said they will give me a 'Good Will' payment but this excludes any costs associated with find the fault. Ford have suggested a 3 way split between me, Ford and the Ford Dealer with my car, all because they could not find the fault whilst it was under Warranty!!

The mileage in February was 58000, April 60000, July 68000

if they failed to find the fault and you took the car to them before the warranty expired, that is their problem not yours. get onto consumer direct and tell them all about it. they will give you all the legal advise you need to take back to the garage.

you will find these companies change their opinion pretty quick when they think you know the law inside out and you have the o.f.t on your side.

The warranty is in addition to your statuary right, when your manufactures warranty runs out your rights do not. You can reasonably expect certain parts to a car to last much longer than the warranty and the dealer is obliged in law to remedy the problems you have.

As some of the other members have said, try trading standard, if the dealer won’t back down sue them in the small claims court, it doesn’t cost much and they will probably back down as soon as they get the summons.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_rights/legal_system/small_claims.htm

Archived