Mental illness / obsessed with money ?

Does anyone know if there's a mental illness which can cause people to be ridiculously tight with money?

I ask because I have a relative who will persistently pester someone for 50p back if it is owed them. This person is fairly well-off, owns their own house and car, and in their 30's (so not being tight out of habit from experience of days gone by).

This person is getting worse and worse as each year passes, to the point they are falling out with people over pennies.

The reason I ask if there is such a mental illness, is because it's not only getting worse, it seems to be happening faster! I've searched Google but (to be expected) the words "Money" combined with "Mental Health" are only bringing up issues about the cost of mental health treatment.

Oh and also I found some insane "Christian" site about mental illness being a myth. I think even Grahame would have disagreed with that site.

EDIT: To give you a better idea of the situation, you can buy this person their dinner and a drink for something like £5, then afterward they will remind you that you owe them 50p !!!

Does anyone know if there's a mental illness which can cause people to be ridiculously tight with money?

I ask because I have a relative who will persistently pester someone for 50p back if it is owed them.

I'm more surprised at how the borrower got the 50p in the first place.

I'm more surprised at how the borrower got the 50p in the first place.

Because if you go anywhere in this person's car (very rare they will risk fuel usage!) they will ask for half of parking cost. If your half is £2 and you only have £1.50, this person won't forget the remainder 50p.

It's just plain greed/selfishness, not a rare thing I've come across quite a few people like that. I used to work with a bloke that would drive 10 miles to save a few pence on petrol but the saddest part of it all for me is when he came into work as pleased as punch when his own son had shown greedy or selfish characteristics.

compulsive disorder perhaps ocd.:)

That's possible, but I don't think so. My (fairly mild!) ocd means I can always keep track of exactly how much money I've spent on what, including having lent £12.37 to someone three weeks ago, and suchlike; but I'm neither tight enough, nor obnoxious enough, to bring the matter up with them whenever we happen to meet, and I certainly wouldn't quibble about thirty-seven pence if they repaid me £12.

It's just plain greed/selfishness, not a rare thing I've come across quite a few people like that. I used to work with a bloke that would drive 10 miles to save a few pence on petrol but the saddest part of it all for me is when he came into work as pleased as punch when his own son had shown greedy or selfish characteristics.

I've noticed this in some people, it's a sad thing to see.

Archived