Mental illness / obsessed with money ?

Used to know somebody in student digs where if there were like four of us and we needed some cheese we would have to buy a block where the price was exactly divisable by four. For example he would become angry if somebody bought cheese for £1.01. Used to drive us bonkers always looking for where the price split equally four ways without any fractions.

Why not just cut the cheese up in to 101 peices, and for each penny invested, you get one peice of cheese?

Can I spell 'peice' correctly? (I have a feeling, perhaps not).

Why not just cut the cheese up in to 101 peices, and for each penny invested, you get one peice of cheese?

Hahah!

Oh and it's eye before eeh except after sea :o

Used to know somebody in student digs where if there were like four of us and we needed some cheese we would have to buy a block where the price was exactly divisable by four. For example he would become angry if somebody bought cheese for £1.01. Used to drive us bonkers always looking for where the price split equally four ways without any fractions.

couldn't you have just given him the extra pennies whilst calling him an idiot?

what if someone used extra cheese?

daarn I was just about to suggest that, either that or just buy your own cheese and stay out of it!

Thanks Chris!!!

Main Entry: plutomania

Part of Speech: n

Definition: a passion or craving for wealth, obsession with money; delusion that one is wealthy

Etymology: Greek ploutos 'wealth'

From here.

That sounds exactly like this person, so is a "mania" a mental illness?

Both my parents were like this. Recently an uncle died and he lived in poverty, damp and just dreadful circumstances and we found a substantial bank account. Also a friend of ours has been left a six figure sum from a relative that lived in the same conditions. I don't know if it's an age thing or obsession but we have some friends that account for every sinle penny to the point we feel guilty for spending some money on ourselves.

Does anyone know if there's a mental illness which can cause people to be ridiculously tight with money?

I ask because I have a relative who will persistently pester someone for 50p back if it is owed them. This person is fairly well-off, owns their own house and car, and in their 30's (so not being tight out of habit from experience of days gone by).

This person is getting worse and worse as each year passes, to the point they are falling out with people over pennies.

The reason I ask if there is such a mental illness, is because it's not only getting worse, it seems to be happening faster! I've searched Google but (to be expected) the words "Money" combined with "Mental Health" are only bringing up issues about the cost of mental health treatment.

Oh and also I found some insane "Christian" site about mental illness being a myth. I think even Grahame would have disagreed with that site.

EDIT: To give you a better idea of the situation, you can buy this person their dinner and a drink for something like £5, then afterward they will remind you that you owe them 50p !!!

Need look no further than the bankers for proof of an addiction to money. What sane person could be a multi millionnaire and then demand a right to have a bonus of several more millions.

Thanks Chris!!!

That sounds exactly like this person, so is a "mania" a mental illness?

I know it sounds a trifle harsh but ... have you thought about having your 'friend' sectioned under the Monetary Health Act?

I had a friend of mine sectioned for the same reason a couple of years ago.

They were taken to a secure facility (Midland bank, just off Surrey street) and forced to count out loose change for seven days and seven nights with no food and only Tizer to drink.

This kind of aversion therapy does seem a little harsh, but I can assure you it works!

My friend now can't get rid of his money quick enough and never wants it back!

He's now known as 'Philanthropic Phil' (as opposed to his previous moniker 'Parsimonious prat') :)

Archived