Would a tram made in Sheffield be better than one made in Germany?

Would a tram made in Sheffield be better than one made in Germany?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Would a tram made in Sheffield be better than one made in Germany?

• Miles better!
    • A kilometer better!
    • It's be a rip off.
    • The German tram is the best option.
    • Didn't we have an airport?
    • Horse n cart all the way.
    • I do all my shopping online.
    • Who needs a tram when we have the most affordable and regular bus services!

But GDP growth in France and particularly Germany is higher than ours and increasingly so, the pound is inflating more and more to the point that the chancellor has openly had to admit he is worried about it more than doubling his predictions.

The German manufacturing is actually benefiting from the current trouble the Euro is going through as this has made it even more competitive, though I'm glad we're not in it owing to its unpredictable outcome.

As for the other stuff I just can't be arsed to find out since you've discredited your argument by lying about the GDP growth bit.:hihi:

I didn't lie about anything. I didn't mention GDP growth, I said GDP. GDP growth is going to depend on what period you're looking at.

German workers from what I've seen on TV are in a class of there own. Not only do they have pride in the job they do, and it is quality work, they also meticulously clean up after themselves. Every single spare nut and bolt is put back in it's place and they even clean the van they use before they leave so no we don't come anywhere near them

We do have people with the skills in Derby who are losing/lost jobs due to our non protectionist views to the point that our neighbours in countries like France and Germany would simply not tolerate.

It was on the news this morning that the new Eurostar contract has been won by Siemens, beating French builders Alstom. So its not just the UK who are choosing German.

We should make our own easy-to-make/break furniture... Let's not give money to Ikea.

And we should have never exported our steel.... In doing so we were hurting other cutlery makers and the like.

Swings and roundabouts really.... As long as the UK/Sheffield carries on at least building either swings or roundabouts. If we dont, it's because we have become inefficient.

How many tram builders are there in Sheffield? or even the UK?

Why should we pay more for lower quality, just because our firms aren't competitive in some areas against some foreign companies? How is that supposed to help them to compete globally?

If other countries want to be protectionist, then it hurts them economically. They pay more for worse goods & their government supports the firms that overcharge for poor quality, which gives them no incentive to improve so that they're able to compete globally & sell their goods abroad. It'll also hurt foreign investment, as foreigners would rather invest in a country where they aren't likely to be pushed out by subsidised local firms.

It's better to just buy the best value, no matter where it comes from.

They could bake them at the Lidl. They've just set up a new bakery there. Or if you prefered not to have them made from bread we could have curry trams made in one of the local fast food outlets.

How many tram builders are there in Sheffield? or even the UK?

Why should we pay more for lower quality, just because our firms aren't competitive in some areas against some foreign companies? How is that supposed to help them to compete globally?

There's no reason to think that anything built in the UK would be of a lesser quality than anything able to be build abroad, however the investment required to set up a manufacturing base and home supply chain to build something like trams and be able to turn out enough to export too, would be astronomical. Only the big multinationals could afford it, the same companies that have already chosen to establish manufacturing plants in Germany etc.

It was on the news this morning that the new Eurostar contract has been won by Siemens, beating French builders Alstom. So its not just the UK who are choosing German.

sush- don't say that- it will ruin there anti-european ranting!!!

Archived