Why do we let Newspapers tell us who to vote for?

Also Murdoch supported Tories in 2010 and although they came out with the biggest share, they didn't even get enough seats for an outright majority. It was no where near the landslide seen when they supported Labour in 1997. If Murdoch's newspapers wield as much power as is being suggested, then why was there not a Tory landslide?

Fair point to Keith the OP though, they may in future choose not to publicly endorse any candidate (and who'd want their support now?), something that may be adopted across all newspapers (though you could still guess which way they were leaning).

The Sheffield Star won't tell you who to vote for, it may tell you about a cat up a tree or some corn beefed thighed single moms desperate fight to let her fat faced child eat 9 packs of quavers for his school lunch.

I say the masons have it right. Don't discuss politics or religion. and have a secret hand shake. and some rituals based on bible stories. But most of all don't discuss politics or religion.

I'd say a lot of people can't be bothered to make up their minds who to vote for so are all too happy to be influenced by their newspaper of choice.

And that is the point I am making.

Its newspapers who are deciding who wins elections. Thats why John Major said that he knew he had lost the 1997 election when Murdoch decided to support Labour.

And that is the point I am making.

Its newspapers who are deciding who wins elections. Thats why John Major said that he knew he had lost the 1997 election when Murdoch decided to support Labour.

So why didn't The Conservatives win an outright majority in 2010, given the amount of 'influence' they have?

Do you allow them to influence your decision making when voting (if you vote)?

Not significantly, probably a little, but there are a lot of stupid people out there, who are easily manipulated.

I'm having a lot of trouble believing that you actually truly do believe that newspapers have no political influence, that's just preposterous! Are you sure you're not just playing devil's advocate?

Over the last few years both Labour and the Tories have licked Murdoch’s boots in order to get his support at General Elections. There is a very good reason for this, inasmuch as whoever Murdoch supports…wins. Even John Major, in his autobiography, stated that her knew he would lose the 1997 election when he found out that Murdoch was supporting Labour.

Shouldn’t we, therefore, have a press that is politically neutral and doesn’t try to influence its readers one way or another. If not then powerful people like Mr Murdoch will continue to decide who is put into number 10.

There are too many fools will poll cards, that's all I can say! If you need a tabloid journo to tell you what to think, and how to vote, then it's time that your priviledges were rescinded!

So why didn't The Conservatives win an outright majority in 2010, given the amount of 'influence' they have?

Perhaps there are not as many fools around as there are tabloid readers? It would take a idiot to vote Cameron after all! My own dear father always reads tabloids - He's an educated man, and it drives me to distraction... But he wouldn't have them sway his political ideals...

Archived