Why do we let Newspapers tell us who to vote for?

And that is the point I am making.

Its newspapers who are deciding who wins elections. Thats why John Major said that he knew he had lost the 1997 election when Murdoch decided to support Labour.

You're possibly missing out on a big reason who or what decides who people vote for. Have a read of this article and you might get a better idea.

That's where most of the people get there information and formulate their views. It's the BBC.

Because all media companies are politically orientated, even though they might try to make out that they're not. Some people are unable to think for themselves and need to be told what to do.

Also Murdoch supported Tories in 2010 and although they came out with the biggest share, they didn't even get enough seats for an outright majority. It was no where near the landslide seen when they supported Labour in 1997. If Murdoch's newspapers wield as much power as is being suggested, then why was there not a Tory landslide?

Fair point to Keith the OP though, they may in future choose not to publicly endorse any candidate (and who'd want their support now?), something that may be adopted across all newspapers (though you could still guess which way they were leaning).

The landslide in 97 was after 18 years of rubbish where the entire country was ran to a standstill, which is the reason they got voted out; people had had enough. In 2010 people had had enough of Labour but they were still reluctant to vote Conservative after what they did in the 80s and 90s. The torys will now have to lie on new voters that are too young to remember what they did, rural people (fox hunting industry) and stuffy Margot Leadbeaters who consider themselves better than anyone else ... and there are an awful lot of those around.

The landslide in 97 was after 18 years of rubbish where the entire country was ran to a standstill, which is the reason they got voted out; people had had enough. In 2010 people had had enough of Labour but they were still reluctant to vote Conservative after what they did in the 80s and 90s. The torys will now have to lie on new voters that are too young to remember what they did, rural people (fox hunting industry) and stuffy Margot Leadbeaters who consider themselves better than anyone else ... and there are an awful lot of those around.

Hmmm...so what you are saying is Mecky...it had nothing to do with the press. I agree!

I once met someone who read The Mail because he thought it was impartial and unpolitical...which says a lot about him and even more about the job centre who employed him to lead a "jobplan workshop"

What a knob.

So why didn't The Conservatives win an outright majority in 2010, given the amount of 'influence' they have?

I'd say it was down to them running a poor campaign. If I'm honest the Tories should have done better last time out.

I'm sure that a lot of people buy their papers based on their political slant and choose the paper whose views fit most closely with their own. I'm not sure that it's possible to stomach 'em if you don't agree with the views they ram down your throat the whole time.

Archived