SLOW driving is DANGEROUS

Or perhaps they can see potential danger that you missed.

More to the point, the speed limit is not a requirement. It's a limit.

There could be any number of reasons why someone chooses to drive at only 35 in a 60 limit; high on that list is "because I want to."

More to the point, the speed limit is not a requirement. It's a limit.

There could be any number of reasons why someone chooses to drive at only 35 in a 60 limit; high on that list is "because I want to."

I being the operative word!

I've no idea where all these really slow drivers hang out. I'm on the roads an awful lot, and I'd say it's pretty rare to see anyone going much under the speed limit (limit, not a target...) unless there is congestion. The number of times I drive at 30 mph on Meadowhead only to be overtaken after being tailgated, is quite high though. Makes me smile as I see the not infrequent camera van as you come over the brow of the hill...

I accept that there is the odd occasion that you get the one whose doing a very slow speed, and I'm sure that some are pulled for it. But it's so rare that it's not really a problem.

I agree, it's very, very rare that I see anyone doing 15mph in a 30, for example, through choice. If someone is doing 40 in a 60, I don't really see that as being a huge problem. The amount of time you will lose over your journey is negligable in truth, and certainly not worth the increase to your blood pressure and fuel bill.

You could fail your test for doing 40 in a 60 on a straight clear road in good weather without any reason for going so slow.

There are a lot of things which drivers do which would fail them their test, most of them much more of a hazard than travelling at 20mph under the speed limit. I really don't see the problem myself. If you can pass safely, you pass safely. If you can't, you don't. If you decide to pass when you shouldn't, then it's your own driving skill which should be called into question (echo, echo, echo...)

We should test drivers more often to make sure they still know how to drive.

Agree 1000%. Tests should also be much harder and much more expensive too. It's about time people realised that driving a motor vehicle is a serious business that needs thought and planning, and that owning a licence is a privilege not an automatic right.

Incidentally, the reason I believe you would fail your test for driving slow is because it would show that you aren't paying proper attention to the road signs etc. rather than 'this is a 60 limit, you HAVE to drive at 60'

You could fail your test for doing 40 in a 60 on a straight clear road in good weather without any reason for going so slow.

We should test drivers more often to make sure they still know how to drive.

Bang on! And i could tell you which posters in this thread would worry the most about a decision like that.

There are a lot of things which drivers do which would fail them their test, most of them much more of a hazard than travelling at 20mph under the speed limit. I really don't see the problem myself. If you can pass safely, you pass safely. If you can't, you don't. If you decide to pass when you shouldn't, then it's your own driving skill which should be called into question (echo, echo, echo...)

Agree 1000%. Tests should also be much harder and much more expensive too. It's about time people realised that driving a motor vehicle is a serious business that needs thought and planning, and that owning a licence is a privilege not an automatic right.

Incidentally, the reason I believe you would fail your test for driving slow is because it would show that you aren't paying proper attention to the road signs etc. rather than 'this is a 60 limit, you HAVE to drive at 60'

You would fail a test because you didnt show the aptitude to keep up with traffic ASWELL as failure to show you know the speed limits.These tthings are part of the test for a reason and its threads like this that show how bad peoples attitudes towards other drivers are and how selfish they are and anyone who actually uses the roads know the slow drivers are the worst for the bad attitude and its clear to see that here.

You would fail a test because you didnt show the aptitude to keep up with traffic ASWELL as failure to show you know the speed limits.These tthings are part of the test for a reason and its threads like this that show how bad peoples attitudes towards other drivers are and how selfish they are and anyone who actually uses the roads know the slow drivers are the worst for the bad attitude and its clear to see that here.

Well, my dear boy, I'm a proffesional driver who has recently been assesed under test conditions (my third assesment in 3/4 months). I also spend anywhere between 40-50 hours per week on the road (proffesionally, more including the driving I do in my own car), so I would think I spend enough time on the road, thanks.

I can assure you that slow driving wouldn't even be in my top 10 of bad driving habits.

My bold - couldnt agree more...

Archived