SLOW driving is DANGEROUS

30 to 40, as in there speed varied, but was on the excessively slow side.

Interesting side point. When the speed limit was changed from 60 to 50, did driving at 60 somehow become unsafe?

just because something was previously allowed does not mean it was safe!

Has that road really be unsafe for 20 (more) years? Has it suddenly become safe because of a 50 limit, or is it just a meaningless change?

This crosses my mind. Roads are probably on the whole safer than they were due to advances in car technology and tyres. However speed limits are sometimes set for other reasons, such as noise reduction.

I got 3 pts and £60 on a road that was reduced from 70 to 50, as they were lurking in a layby in a van. Didn't occur to me they were checking speed (police vans stop for other reasons) as it was a dual carriageway and there must have been more hazardous roads in the area. Anyway: Flash! Kerching!

That you should make good progress when conditions allow.

If you drove like the woman I observed on the snake pass you'd fail for multiple lack of progress/hesitation minors.

I highly doubt that she was taking her test at the time, therefore would not be under any obligation to demonstrate ability to drive at the limit. Once you've passed, you can drive at any speed you choose, provided you stay below the speed limit.

30 to 40, as in there speed varied, but was on the excessively slow side.

Interesting side point. When the speed limit was changed from 60 to 50, did driving at 60 somehow become unsafe?

There are clear straight sections where IMO 60 is perfectly safe, and corners that can't be taken at 50, so what was the point of changing the limit?

As in any speed reduction they are hoping to move the prevailing, average speed down (85th percentile ... and all that) so that fewer drivers push themselves beyond their perceived capabilities and beyond the vehicle's and road surface's available grip.

I.e they are trying to build in a safety margin that drivers, when it was NSL, weren't taking for themselves. The end result, they hope, is better driver outcomes.

Why not concentrate on your own driving instead of telling others how to drive?

Maybe if they weren't holding everyone else up then there wouldn't be a problem then would they. :rolleyes:

It doesn't. The laws of physics make sure of that. Nothing to do with driving.

You're just being wilfully obtuse.

Next you'll be saying that the laws of physics mean that obstacles in the road aren't a danger.

Driving slowly alters the behaviour of other drivers in such a way that it creates danger. Hence driving slowly can be dangerous. It's not difficult logic to follow, it is difficult to refute, simply repeating that it isn't dangerous won't prove the logic wrong.

I highly doubt that she was taking her test at the time, therefore would not be under any obligation to demonstrate ability to drive at the limit. Once you've passed, you can drive at any speed you choose, provided you stay below the speed limit.

No this is simply not true. Go and drive down the M1 at 5 mph and see how long it is before you're pulled over and charged with a driving offence.

Archived