SLOW driving is DANGEROUS

Who hasnt had a slow driver accelerate on them as you have been mid pass?
Too many to count, and if that is not dangerous driving/reckless endangerment, I don't know what is.

My usual parade: indicate left and complete the manoeuvre (pull over, slowly but 'resolutely') as if the other car had not accelerated to stop your overtaking, even though the other car is drawing nearer. Basically, cut the old guy off (it's usually an old guy...at least in my experience!) Works like a charm - everytime :thumbsup:

Its about time!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016721/Slow-drivers-dangerous-roads-cause-crashes.html

Slow drivers are one of the biggest dangers on the road and should be treated like speeders, a report says today.

Nearly a third of motorists have had a 'near miss' caused by someone travelling slowly.

These drivers create such frustration that six out of ten motorists feel stress rise and about half are tempted to 'undertake'.

Stressful: Slow drivers cause six out of ten motorists into temptation to undertake

It has led to calls for a crackdown on slow drivers including the setting of minimum limits or even ‘slow speed’ cameras.

Transport Department figures show 143 accidents a year are caused directly by slow drivers.

The report from insurer Confused.com coincides with the Government’s deadline today for police and councils to publish prosecution and casualty data on speed cameras to see if they do save lives or just raise cash.

The report notes: ’In reaction to these slow drivers, almost half (45%) of motorists risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident.

It's possible even probable that I'm having a senior moment,but I cannot find any reference to this report on the Department for Transport web site. Not that I'm doubting anything the Daily mail prints of course. WAIT it's the Daily Mail shouldn't the article be about how slow driving causes cancer? :hihi:

Its about time!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016721/Slow-drivers-dangerous-roads-cause-crashes.html

Slow drivers are one of the biggest dangers on the road and should be treated like speeders, a report says today.

Nearly a third of motorists have had a 'near miss' caused by someone travelling slowly.

These drivers create such frustration that six out of ten motorists feel stress rise and about half are tempted to 'undertake'.

Stressful: Slow drivers cause six out of ten motorists into temptation to undertake

It has led to calls for a crackdown on slow drivers including the setting of minimum limits or even ‘slow speed’ cameras.

Transport Department figures show 143 accidents a year are caused directly by slow drivers.

The report from insurer Confused.com coincides with the Government’s deadline today for police and councils to publish prosecution and casualty data on speed cameras to see if they do save lives or just raise cash.

The report notes: ’In reaction to these slow drivers, almost half (45%) of motorists risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident.

So the next time you are driving round a bend and you are confronted by an idiot overtaking and on your side of the road heading straight for you at 70 mph who will you blame? The driver he has just overtaken or the driver who is doing the overtaking.

It's possible even probable that I'm having a senior moment,but I cannot find any reference to this report on the Department for Transport web site. Not that I'm doubting anything the Daily mail prints of course. WAIT it's the Daily Mail shouldn't the article be about how slow driving causes cancer? :hihi:

Any capable driver already knows the artical is dealing with issues that have been a concern for a long time without a mere link and its not soon enough,

Only an incapable slow driver would argue after all how would they know?

So the next time you are driving round a bend and you are confronted by an idiot overtaking and on your side of the road heading straight for you at 70 mph who will you blame? The driver he has just overtaken or the driver who is doing the overtaking.
The driver who is doing the overtaking inappropriately.

Any other obvious ones, Keith? :rolleyes:

Why is overtaking such a big deal in the UK anyway? The problem isn't the slow drivers as such, it's the followers who daren't overtake (unless there's a good couple of miles straight as a beam with no oncoming traffic whatsoever) and bunch up, making it progressively impossible for others to do any kind of overtaking.

I've lost track of how many times I've had to take 3 or more cars at once (with tons of 'room' or 'time' to spare after the manoeuvre), because none of the drivers preceding me seem to 'dare' overtaking in perfectly adequate conditions, and seem quite content to toodle along at 40 MPH, inches from one another :rolleyes:

EDIT - let me guess: overtaking is not part of the UK driving practical tuition and exam, right?

They need to bring in a law like they have in certain states of america - if you are travelling slowly and do not stop regularly to allow people to pass you are breaking the law. This applies to all vehicles and I think makes total sense. That way people can travel whatever speed they like but have to allow others to do the same.

I remember a time when there was courtisy on our roads.A time when slower moving vehicles did not need to be told to move over to the left to alow others past but its all changed with the speed kills crap being forced down our throats.As a direct result slow drivers no take to any dangerous stunt they can muster to hinder the safe progress of others.

Not cancer but high blood pressure and a heart attack, as well as an outburst of foul language.

Ive done alot of miles but never come across that.What has that got to do with the topic?

This topic has obviously hit a nerve with you and its drivers like you i fear the most.

Did you know that overtaking is NOT illegal?Did you know it can be done quite safely?

Try it sometime!!Well on second thoughts dont!!

The Driving Standards Agency as it is now known would never issue such a stupid piece of nonsense like this.

Where did the Mail get this story from? Oh yes 'a report says' Wonder who wrote the report, Jeremy Clarkson?

If slow drivers are such a risk, what do we do about vehicles which aren't able to travel at the speed limit? Tractors / people towing / milkfloats?

See my previous comment re letting people past if you're going slowly. Its quite simple. If you are a vehicle that wants/needs to travel slowly, just let people past every so often! This includes caravans, mobilitiy scooters, tractors, lorries, grannies etc etc etc

Archived