Should rapists get a higher rate of housing benefit?

Why did you feel the need to single out rapists and not just put ex-offenders in the topic title. Going for the tabloid spin on the story

Maybe because they need it if they are going to be sharing house with unsuspecting females

More people are going to be forced to share housing.

Safeguards should be in place.

The benefit system shouldn't discriminate based upon age.

Housing benefit is going to be used to price housing at different rates for people of different age.

Much like tax credits, that increase wage with age.

Why is that age in particular targeted ?

A person with mental health problems, might have difficulty living amongst others, shared housing could cause this person problems by putting even more pressure on the NHS, and create an even worse economic effect, one of a greater magnitude than the money saved in housing benefit payments by making them move into shared housing in the first place...

I know people with mental health issues would definately suffer if they had to share housing with a stranger.If problems arose, then would the government admit it was their policies that caused it?

Typical of a half decent topis for discussion ruined by chemist1 (who I believe to be fundamentally sound, if somewhat deranged) individual sensationalising and putting absurd degrees of spin on an otherwise worthwhile point.

would you share your house someone who has been convicted of a violent offence?

Why is that age in particular targeted ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/housing-network/2011/jul/13/landlords-refusing-to-take-tenants-under-34

Previously only the under 25s were designated for substandard housing, but the band will shift to the under 35s.

People on housing benefit are essentially pawns on a chessboard in the housing market and previously they were a pawn each.

Two-four under 35s now make a single pawn.

That demographic may have been targeted due to having a low voter turn out, and smaller proportion of people in that age group.

In less than a year, anybody aged 26-34 will have their housing benefit cut down to the SRR, which is considerably lower than the 1 bed rate. In Sheffield these figures are £60 and £88.85. These people are looking at a £28.85 drop in income because of their age.

Whilst cuts to housing benefit may be a good thing, age discrimination wrt the cuts is not.

Certain people will be exempt from these changes, namely those with children, and those coming from care.

However, many organisations are calling for others to be exempt from the SRR.

Shelter is one for example. They call for the following groups to be exempt;

The question I am asking is, should rapists be exempt from the SRR and thus be entitled to a higher rate of housing benefit.

The idea is for all people under 35 to live in shared accommodation (forcing our children and the current generation of taxpayers into sub standard accommodation, and severely restricting their ability to get on in the world, have a family etc.).

However, by doing so, people with mental health problems, sexual offenders, violent offenders, drug addicts, low wage workers, young women & men will be forced to share housing with each other.

Some young women will end up having to share HMO housing with rapists.

Is this fair?

Surely rapists should not be encouraged to share housing with potential victims?

Maybe it would be better to give them higher rates of housing benefit in order for them to live on their own...

Even if sex offenders could ever benefit from cheaper accomodation, they would be sharing a house with people they know... Noone is telling anyone to live with strangers - sharing a house is the way young people have lived away from home pre marriage or mortgage for generations now... It was the 1960's that first saw large properties in run down areas being rented room by room, and it continues today as being a cheap way to move away and leave your family... Many of those who post on here will have lived with friends, or rented a room in a shared house with others of a similar social group who they may well not have know too well (if at all) prior to moving into the same shared house... I am one, and I had a great time and I am still in touch with some of the people I shared a house with... It may be something that is completely out of your understanding, but it's not as bleak as you paint it... I'll tell you something now, and that is that NO government will be telling you where you can live or who you live with any time soon in the UK... Seriously, you have to stop worrying about things that will never, ever happen...

Article 8 of The European Convention on Human Rights:

And whilst the cuts in housing benefit may generally be justified in the economic well-being of the country, some of those cuts are not.

Forcing people to share homes with others whom pose a potential risk...

Pushing mentally disabled people into housing which will aggravate their condition...

The London resident who claims as much in benefits as he earns working full time @ NMW, cheaper to keep on the dole in the North, but what of his job, was it productive? did it have a positive effect upon society?

A 'private family life' in a SHARED house?

Talk about totally misunderstanding something!!!

For the most part, I enjoy living in a shared house

I don't class it as substandard accommodation. In fact, it means that I can live in a higher standard of accommodation than I could afford myself, the flipside is that I share it with others

I have a private life

In less than a year, anybody aged 26-34 will have their housing benefit cut down to the SRR, which is considerably lower than the 1 bed rate. In Sheffield these figures are £60 and £88.85.

You can rent a house for £90 a week in this area...don't have to house share...

Archived