Shakespeare, Gibraltar St

gularscute

I went along for the opening night and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I had a feeling that it might become a tosser's palace, a fake real ale pub along the lines of those dreadful Firkin places. It's good to see it's still very spit'n sawdust.

I arrived there with low expectations and many prejudices. It will never be as great as it was before but at least it's not unbearable. The beer was varied and well kept, the atmosphere was good and the free buffet was tasty and unpretentious.

On the negative side, I hate seeing bar staff in matching logo T shirts, it's so unnecessary and corporate, completely out of keeping with the ethos of a real pub. It was extremely unpleasant to see the original feature of a coach alley built over to make allowance for a superfluous extra room. That new room has terrible acoustics and this was compounded by the fact that it was taken over by the sort of shouty blokes who feel they have to be heard to laugh louder and bellow more gutterally than their companions.

It's not the sort of place that I'd want to visit very often but it's somewhere I'd like to drop in on occasionally. If it keeps on providing interesting music like it did when Jeff had it, I'll keep turning up but it will never reach the heights that it did before.

Might pop in on Saturday, what beer have they got on?

I was going to ask the same.

I'm out Friday night so may do the Kelham area with the Shakey added to the list.

Regards

Doom

Real Ales I can remember were from Abbeydale, Kelham Island, Blue Bee, White Rose, Imperial and Sheffield Breweries.

Various imported beers on tap too including Flying Dog Doggy Style, a very hoppy pale ale imported from the USA.

glad it's open, and real ale-ing it! what brewery / firm is running it?

i'd thought for a while whilst walking past it that it would do well to open up as an 'extention' to kelham island. it makes it easier to traipse from the city centre to the island if there's a good stop off in between.

can now crawl from the rutland post work, the tap, the old queens head, then stagger to west bar for the shakespeare, then over to the fat cat. perfect.

I went along for the opening night and I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. I had a feeling that it might become a tosser's palace, a fake real ale pub along the lines of those dreadful Firkin places. It's good to see it's still very spit'n sawdust.

I arrived there with low expectations and many prejudices. It will never be as great as it was before but at least it's not unbearable. The beer was varied and well kept, the atmosphere was good and the free buffet was tasty and unpretentious.

On the negative side, I hate seeing bar staff in matching logo T shirts, it's so unnecessary and corporate, completely out of keeping with the ethos of a real pub. It was extremely unpleasant to see the original feature of a coach alley built over to make allowance for a superfluous extra room. That new room has terrible acoustics and this was compounded by the fact that it was taken over by the sort of shouty blokes who feel they have to be heard to laugh louder and bellow more gutterally than their companions.

It's not the sort of place that I'd want to visit very often but it's somewhere I'd like to drop in on occasionally. If it keeps on providing interesting music like it did when Jeff had it, I'll keep turning up but it will never reach the heights that it did before.

Good post! I think it may be the first time the phrase 'bellow more gutterally' has ever been written down anywhere. Perhaps they ought to have it emblazoned on those corporate T-shirts.

Archived