Shakespeare, Gibraltar St

gularscute

It's going to need some help, looking at the devastation surrounding it, are there any plans for the empty buildings surrounding it?

i would imagine the hope is that people will fill them

given that it is in the real ale polygon then the obvious lack of a local clientele is not that much of an issue

Is it now officially open then? What are the opening times?

Evenings only to start with as there is still work to be done then will be open normal all day hours. (Although they are doing all the tramlines stuff advertised this weekend)

Website http://www.shakespeares-sheffield.co.uk should I imagine be updates soon with all the info.

Pub is independently owned - its a guy called William who owns the Beehive in Bradford.

I am looking forward to going down there and checking it out. I used to drink in there before it closed so it's nice to see it back on it's feet and serving some real ales.

I think it will be a success, given that the Kelham Island's pubs are always pretty busy with paying customers.

Good post! I think it may be the first time the phrase 'bellow more gutterally' has ever been written down anywhere. Perhaps they ought to have it emblazoned on those corporate T-shirts.

Thanks. I'm not sure about the grammar of that phrase but I was ****** out of my mind when I wrote it and could barely see the keyboard.

I hate seeing bar staff in uniforms, it's just wrong. The Shakespeare's managers can have the phrase for free if they agree to ceremonially burn the tops after the embroidery has been done.

And what is this new trend of shouty blokes in real ale pubs? Within the last week I've had my membranes rattled in the Kelham Island Tavern and The Blake as well. I went to Howarth to get away from it but had my earwax blasted all over The Fleece and The White Lion despite my efforts.

.....And what is this new trend of shouty blokes in real ale pubs? Within the last week I've had my membranes rattled in the Kelham Island Tavern and The Blake as well. I went to Howarth to get away from it but had my earwax blasted all over The Fleece and The White Lion despite my efforts.

It's the same when any cult goes 'overground' (eg REM, Elbow) - you find yourself stood next to people you'd previously tried to avoid.

All the same I welcome a broader range of punters in real ale pubs. They can be very cliquey and sometimes don't seem enough like a 'proper' pub, more a theme pub with one type of customer.

Was in the shakespere yesterday and overall a good pub. Went upstairs to see some live music and that live room is in despirate need of some curtains or a cloth backdrop to improve the acoustics as the reverb from all the hard walls is apalling.

It's the same when any cult goes 'overground' (eg REM, Elbow) - you find yourself stood next to people you'd previously tried to avoid.

That's a really good way of putting it.

All the same I welcome a broader range of punters in real ale pubs. They can be very cliquey and sometimes don't seem enough like a 'proper' pub, more a theme pub with one type of customer.

Yes, it is good to see a wide variety of drinkers in any pub. Not the stentorian variety however, there are plenty of loud places for them to go and be loud already. I'm glad the original breed of real ale enthusiasts are still clinging on too, the ones with bird's nest beards, piping voices and jotters full of tasting notes. Cliqueyness isn't such a a bad thing unless you go in on your own looking to make friends. As long as they aren't openly hostile, it doesn't bother me.

I know what you mean when you say that some places are like theme pubs. If it's a good and subtle theme rather than a wacky and tacky one then it's not so bad. Overall, I prefer somewhere like The Nags Head at Loxley or The Junction in Bradford where you get a sense of community.

Personally, I think it's fantastic that a new pub has reopened after so many have been closed down, and Shakespeares will be a good addition to the Kelham island Area.

Management were very busy prior to opening, and there is still 'behind the scenes' work to be done, but they had to be open for Tramlines.

The Shakespeare was very much in need of modernisation, it had been empty and derelict for over a year, and even when it was open was much in need of a cash injection to freshen it up. Shakespeares now is bigger and better, with a fresh outlook to compliment the other kelham Island pubs.

They aim to bring in new people with the live music scene, certainly Tram Lines showed thay could manage (and cope with) that. For more information, they also have a facebook page (unfortunately I can't post a link)

It's refreshing to see a wider variety of clientell, all enjoying good real ales, and foreign beers and largers, and qhat will be a very good whiskey selection. It is well worth checking out, and if you've already been, giving it another go to see how it improves and impresses with time. However, I recommend you do not go in expecting the old run down Shakespeare, as the cash it needed has been well spent in making Shakespeares a warm and welcoming pub as a fantastic addition to the Kelhma Island Real Ale Trail, and in its own right!

Personally, I think it's fantastic that a new pub has reopened after so many have been closed down, and Shakespeares will be a good addition to the Kelham island Area.

Management were very busy prior to opening, and there is still 'behind the scenes' work to be done, but they had to be open for Tramlines.

The Shakespeare was very much in need of modernisation, it had been empty and derelict for over a year, and even when it was open was much in need of a cash injection to freshen it up. Shakespeares now is bigger and better, with a fresh outlook to compliment the other kelham Island pubs.

They aim to bring in new people with the live music scene, certainly Tram Lines showed thay could manage (and cope with) that. For more information, they also have a facebook page (unfortunately I can't post a link)

It's refreshing to see a wider variety of clientell, all enjoying good real ales, and foreign beers and largers, and qhat will be a very good whiskey selection. It is well worth checking out, and if you've already been, giving it another go to see how it improves and impresses with time. However, I recommend you do not go in expecting the old run down Shakespeare, as the cash it needed has been well spent in making Shakespeares a warm and welcoming pub as a fantastic addition to the Kelhma Island Real Ale Trail, and in its own right!

Good luck with it. I'll be visiting soon to check it out.

I hope it is still called 'The Shakespeare' though, not 'Shakespeares' or 'Shakespeare's'. Also let's not pretend it was 'derelict' before. I was there on its final night in the previous guise and it seemed great to me. But like any old building, it needed a bit of money spending on it to realise its full potential. Hopefully that will be done.

It does seem to be called Shakespeare's now, rather than The Shakespeare. Ah well.

Good ale and they serve it in pint lined glasses too, so a full pint every time. I have to get pints topped up in almost every pub I go in so that's welcome.

The new owner(s) are the same who own the New Beehive in Bradford, which used to be a favourite of mine when I lived in Pudsey.

One thing - can they fix the upstairs windows to let some air in? The tramlines gigs were unbearably hot!

Archived