Shakespeare, Gibraltar St

gularscute

It does seem to be called Shakespeare's now, rather than The Shakespeare. Ah well.

That's a pity. I thought those days were behind us when every pub had to be rebranded as "[something] apostrophe s" (e.g. O'Neill's, Henry's, Jospehine's, Scruffy Murphy's etc) to indicate fake friendliness with some imaginary landlord who 'owned' the bar.

I've been in a couple of times since it re-opened and I think it'll be pretty good once it's finished. Looks like they opened a bit early to get the Tramlines crowd, but you can't really blame them for that. Good range of beers and a beer garden with plenty of potential. Hopefully the real ale crowd will include it in the Kelham run. Always nice to see a pub reopen and succeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Shakespeares is definately looking better each time I go, there are pictures all over the walls, some of which are very interesting, the beer garden looks fab, (although less so in this weather!) and they're getting more established with live music at weekends, and Thursday night pub quiz's! I'll be there tonight trying my luck...

Glad to hear that the Shakespeare is open again. Must pop down there sometime soon; the prospect of some independent American Real Ales is enough to get me interested. Do they still have the upstairs room available for functions, as I might be interested in holding an arts/music event sometime?

Thanks. I'm not sure about the grammar of that phrase but I was ****** out of my mind when I wrote it and could barely see the keyboard.

I hate seeing bar staff in uniforms, it's just wrong. The Shakespeare's managers can have the phrase for free if they agree to ceremonially burn the tops after the embroidery has been done.

And what is this new trend of shouty blokes in real ale pubs? Within the last week I've had my membranes rattled in the Kelham Island Tavern and The Blake as well. I went to Howarth to get away from it but had my earwax blasted all over The Fleece and The White Lion despite my efforts.

Out of your mind and barely able to see the keyboard ey?

Glad to hear that the Shakespeare is open again. Must pop down there sometime soon; the prospect of some independent American Real Ales is enough to get me interested. Do they still have the upstairs room available for functions, as I might be interested in holding an arts/music event sometime?

It's definately worth a visit!

The function room in available i believe, they are hoping to have live music acts on at weekends but this is not established yet. You can email the managers, Chris and Robin at info@shakespeares-sheffield.co.uk for more information.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in on Friday and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. The place itself was very rough and ready, uneven floors, rotten looking brickwork outside, plants growing out of parts of the building etc.

Also the beer selection. There were one or two interesting ones, but for someone like me who likes strong real ales there was nothing.

Prices steep imo. Cost £9 for a pint of strong lager, a pint of 4.2% ale, and a half of that expensive American stuff (£4.80 a pint).

On the plus side the staff were friendly. Clientele was mixed.

Are you in some way associated with this business?

My partner Chris is one of the managers, so I get to hear about everything they're busy doing! they're still pretty busy getting it established, there was a big push to get it open for tramlines so some things, like the booking of bands for weekends was pushed aside, but they're definately getting on their feet!

Re: the price of beer, None of it should have cost £9.00, that's ridiculous! There must have been a mistake along the lines with regards to it, It is expensive for a pint of it, but I think it's probably meant to be £4.80 a pint, because it's american and unusal, and lots of other reasons the managers could tell you that I can't! sorry about that though.

He's just being a tight moaner, surely £9 is pretty standard for a pint of strong continental lager, a half of premium imported American beer and a pint of real ale?! I think you'd pay more down the Tap.

Are there any plans to decorate a bit more? I popped in on Tramlines weekend and it was quite slapshod?

Archived