The Euro, what now?

So my long term prediction has come to be, a single currency linked to 16 different fiscal policies simply doesn't work. Will France and Germany say that enough is enough, and if so do they opt out or start the process of throwing the basket cases out.

There in no greater Gordon Brown hater than me, but on his stance over the UK joining the single currency, I applaud him.

There in no greater Gordon Brown hater than me, but on his stance over the UK joining the single currency, I applaud him.

With his well-documented major clangers re. costing us billions by selling our gold 'low', 'Saving the World', his destruction of pensions etc. etc., don't you think that he just got lucky on that occasion and it was nothing to do with his financial judgement?

A stopped clock is right twice a day, and all that.

It would have worked if countries hadn't got in by cooking the books to make themselves appear a lot more stable than they really were. If there was a currency that was only shared by the most stable countries it would be ok, but to let the likes of Greece, Portugal and even Ireland in is just a bit stupid.

If the Euro isn't bailed out now by France and Germany then I expect the world ecconomy is going to take another massive hit and we will see global recession.

With his well-documented major clangers re. costing us billions by selling our gold 'low', 'Saving the World', his destruction of pensions etc. etc., don't you think that he just got lucky on that occasion and it was nothing to do with his financial judgement?

A stopped clock is right twice a day, and all that.

It pains me to say it, but we as a nation, never passed all of his three entry tests in one go. Ken Clarke however would have dragged us kicking and screaming into the single currency.

It would have worked if countries hadn't got in by cooking the books to make themselves appear a lot more stable than they really were. If there was a currency that was only shared by the most stable countries it would be ok, but to let the likes of Greece, Portugal and even Ireland in is just a bit stupid.
Ireland met the relevant standards comfortably at the relevant time, there is no valid comparison between Ireland and the likes of Greece and Portugal.

In Ireland's case, it really was a case of mismanagement of the national economy in the mid to late 00s, writ very large.

...and I say that, not being particularly fond of them at all, for many different reasons.

I'm a bit late turning my €s into gold by now, here's hoping FR and DE buys me a bit more time to find some worthwhile investments :|

Personally, I think he just did not even dare suggest it, never mind go for it, on account of the expected public opinion/support backlash this would have caused. Nowt to do with luck or financial judgment.

So my long term prediction has come to be, a single currency linked to 16 different fiscal policies simply doesn't work. Will France and Germany say that enough is enough, and if so do they opt out or start the process of throwing the basket cases out.

The entire EU project was misconceived and proved to be a costly farce. The UK ought to leave right now, before it gets even worse.

Archived