Alcoholic mother wants contact with kids

Should I stop contact of kids with the mother as she is an alcoholic?

Yes there is a court order.

She gets every other weekend, and half the school holidays.

However she has never stuck to that.

Yes she gets drunk in front of kids.

What's best is what's hard to figure out.

Stopping contact is an awful thing todo, and the first option of the power mad parent.

Going back to court is such a distructive process.

However I am at the very end of my wits with her and her illness.

It'a a no brainer to be frank. Childrens safety must take priority. If you feel the children may be in ANY kind of danger, then YOU must take action. It's as simple as that I think.

Upsetting family, or even the children to some extent is a price that will have to be paid.

It's a bad situation to be in - good luck, what ever decision you take.

Regards

Angel.

It'a a no brainer to be frank. Childrens safety must take priority. If you feel the children may be in ANY kind of danger, then YOU must take action. It's as simple as that I think.

Upsetting family, or even the children to some extent is a price that will have to be paid.

It's a bad situation to be in - good luck, what ever decision you take.

Regards

Angel.

I would be saying the same as you, if I were giving advice instead of asking for it. As your right. However I have no wish to be that parent that denies contact almost as much as not wanting to expose my kids to harm.

I thought I'd be stronger than this.

Should I stop contact of kids with the mother as she is an alcoholic?

Yes there is a court order.

She gets every other weekend, and half the school holidays.

However she has never stuck to that.

Yes she gets drunk in front of kids.

If she is getting totally drunk and putting the kids at risk then take it back to court and request supervised access only until she's off the sauce.

The childrens health and safety must always come first, and the mothers condition should be cared for as a separate matter. Has the childrens mother got a outreach worker or councillor, and above all does she want the help.

There is a lot to do in this matter, but the kids will always have to come first. If the mother does not like this, and causes further problems you will need to go back to court and get the care order changed to supervised visits until things improve. But I personally wish you all the best and good luck, and I repect what you are doing.

ALAN

If she is getting totally drunk and putting the kids at risk then take it back to court and request supervised access only until she's off the sauce.

I guess that's where we will end up. Last place I want to return to. She might just not bother and she might just might end up killing herself.

Other than court is there anyone I can ring to get them to help her?

She is on probation for DD, but they will not speak to the ex husband.

She goes to AA. Would they speak to me? Is it true they have sponsors? Would they warn me if she had a relapse?

Archived