Moving to Liverpool - any suggestions re: decent areas?

I'm looking to relocate to Liverpool but have no idea what the decent areas are and which are to be avoided??

We want to ideally buy a 2/3 bed house but not for a few months yet as have to do some research first. I've lived in South Sheffield all my life so would like somewhere similar (if that is possible!) Does anyone know of the 'better' areas we should be looking at as first time buyers?

Some good areas round Sefton Park;Liverpool is a working class city,and more deprived than many parts of Sheffield.Traditional working class communities such as Anfield and The Dingle have been blighted.Childwall and Gateacre are considered posh.Bootle and the north side are quite run down.

you really need to post one heck of a lot more criteria than that for a house search!

will you be commuting into the city centre?

do you need to be in a good catchment area for schools?

do you need good motorway access to somewhere in particular?

with the criteria you've given so far, you'd probably be best looking on the wirral, especially New Brighton which is undergoing development at the moment, and has a fantastic rail connection to Liverpool city centre, or is reasonably easy to commute from by car

................look for properties in/around De Villiers Ave Liverpool 23. I was looking at some today on the net. cheaper houses than here. Good luck, wish I could move back to the place of my birth!!! I love going back, in fact am going again for a three day break, and will look up De Villiers Ave, haven't seen the house for over 50 years!!!!

Crosby and Brighton Le Sands are very nice. Other than that, have a look on the Wirral. I absolutely love it here, being so close to the beach, and the transport links are excellent.

Property can be pricey on the "West" coast though. Moreton, Meols and Hoylake are very nice.

2-3 miles from city centre:

Mossley Hill, Allerton Road area, Sefton Park, Calderstones Park, Wavertree, Aigburth, St Michaels hamlet - all good.

Unlike Sheffield, Liverpool has a great suburban rail network and a series of underground stations in town, so lots of people use the train rather than the bus. If this sounds attractive, look around the Merseyrail stations of Aigburth, Cressington, Wavertree, Liverpool South Parkway etc. Depends how far out of town you want to go really.

You might also want to look at flats closer to the city centre: there are some amazing streets branching off Hope Street - all Georgian terraces, many of which are converted into flats. This area is very close to the University, so lots of students and lecturers already live round here, plus it's round the corner from the Everyman Theatre, the Philharmonic Hall, the Unity Theatre, both cathedrals...etc. If I was moving to the city (again), that's the area I would go for, but your preferences may be different.

Crosby and Waterloo in the north of the city are lovely, and have a huge beach, and are on the Merseyrail network, but they're further out of town. Likewise the Wirral; again, some nice places with good train service, but a bit out of the action for me.

Liverpool is a super-fine city and there are loads of great places to live. You can move with confidence - as I did, 15 years ago!

If you want more detailed info, drop me a PM.

I've just been at Calderstones and Woolton Village this morning and its never looked lovelier. If I had to move across the water I'd either choose there or Crosby and Brighton-Le-Sands. I'd say further north is better because you're closer to the sea and Formby and Southport.

Archived