Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

Appolo

• 10 months later...
I use to work for a company called sheffield smelting on attercliffe, I use to work on the big rolling machines rolling solid gold and sterling silver all to be turned in to coins for all over the world. I have worked on the 10" cogging mills bloody hot work in the winter & even hotter in the summer but like every job people as done you had some brilliant work mates well I did. Oh I have worked on the big plate mills as well that was heavy work and worked on the strip mills as well mind you I must admit I enjoyed every day working in the rolling mills. I know I once spent two years on nights solid thats 7 days a week if I did it now it would kill me.
Hi Kev Arthur here Iworked at SHEFF; Smelting co as maint; joiner with Bernard Oakes and Charlie, had a great time, Harold Kirkman was the boss was there from49-54[ spent alot of time in the Railway,] strange this , was only speaking of this pub to my friends here in France it was in there when Ifirst realised i needed specs;

my mate was reading something across the room and i could not see it, Happy days Arthur.

anybody on here who worked in the rolling mills in sheffield in the 70s

I worked at Dunford Elliots on Claywheels Lane & most of the other rolling mills in the 70s

Sanderson Kaysers etc etc

I worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills 1970/72 but only as a computer programmer. However, my Dad, Eric George was Hot and Cold Rolling Mill Manager in 50's, 60's, until November 1972 so if you worked there, you may have missed him. Been in the Plumpers a few times.

• 2 weeks later...
anybody on here who worked in the rolling mills in sheffield in the 70s

I worked at Dunford Elliots on Claywheels Lane & most of the other rolling mills in the 70s

Sanderson Kaysers etc etc

Hi, My dad worked at Jonas & Clovers, during the war up to about 1980ish. His nickname was Chippy. Unfortunately I can't remember what position he had.

• 2 months later...
I worked at Sheffield Rolling Mills, Millsand, Off Ladies Bridge, if memory serves me i was on SK2, running out, back in the 70s

I also worked at the Sheffield Forge & rolling mills at millsands in the early 50s.What a dump. I have also worked at Sandersons Newbould,Firth Vickers & Appollo Steels until they closed in 1986,at Alma St.