Anybody On Here Who Worked In Rolling Mills In The 70s

Appolo

I worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills, on maintenance, in the Billet Mill in 1970 and also in the Central Engineering Workshop, (CEW).

The only guys I remember were Jack Priestley and Glen Holman. We also worked with a huge black guy, nicknamed "Massambula" who used to swing a 28lb hammer like a toffee hammer.

There was a little guy too nicknamed Garth, often referred to as "tiled hearth" who came with the contractors when the mill was built and stayed on as a foreman. He was so-called because he was only about 4ft 9ins wet-through!

He used to live at the mill and rarely went home usually staying all weekend. He used to sleep in the passageways under the mill - whilst they were rolling!

Often, if you went down there on a Monday morning, you'd find him fast-asleep in a dark corner - he'd scare the s*** out of you.

I worked at Shepcote Lane Rolling Mills, on maintenance, in the Billet Mill in 1970 and also in the Central Engineering Workshop, (CEW).

The only guys I remember were Jack Priestley and Glen Holman. We also worked with a huge black guy, nicknamed "Massambula" who used to swing a 28lb hammer like a toffee hammer.

There was a little guy too nicknamed Garth, often referred to as "tiled hearth" who came with the contractors when the mill was built and stayed on as a foreman. He was so-called because he was only about 4ft 9ins wet-through!

He used to live at the mill and rarely went home usually staying all weekend. He used to sleep in the passageways under the mill - whilst they were rolling!

Often, if you went down there on a Monday morning, you'd find him fast-asleep in a dark corner - he'd scare the s*** out of you.

Hi Uren,

I think you were referring to Tinsley Park Works which was on Shepcote Lane.

I vaguely remember the people mentioned in your first paragraph, but who could forget Garth.

He worked for Davy United and was involved in the building and commissioning of the 42" and 32" Mills and all the ancillary equipment.After Davy's contract was finished, he was offered the job as a maintenance forman. He helped to sort out many snags which were found after commissioning. This meant spending many hours on site, such that this became his norm. Eventually he used to have to be ordered to go home.

He was exactly as you described. He must have weighed about 5 to 6 stones, and half of that was the weight of the thick grease which was ingrained in his jacket, trousers and him. He had a gravelly voice which seemed strange coming from such a slight figure.

He was a man that not only worked in the Rolling Mills, but for a long time appeared to live in them!

bill mappin was his under roller.they operated 14 inch rolls at norfolk bar mill.when this closed down they were moved to an antiquated mill on weedon st.joe was hit by a red hot bar that caught in the floor coming from the cogging mill which rendered him unable to do his job,this led to him being made redundant at 55 with the fantastic sum of £2400

for 41 years loyal service.no gold watch no kiss my a##e from the penny pinching ;;'@##//s.he always talked with great affection about his workmates .some of who if memory serves me right were

tommy potnell (pothoil) bert? (lofty) bill mappin.ernest millington (shagger) dennis addis.cus. and others i forget.all were strong, proud, conscientous men who would share their last fag or shilling and shared a camaraderie unknown to todays workforce.