The Queens Hotel, Scotland Street

I have been photoing closed pubs since 2005 when my local not in Sheffield closed for good I realised that soon very few pubs would remain open so started my hobby. I met the former Landlord of the Queens Hotel a few years ago he was the last to run it hence my information. The Queens Hotel had six guest rooms on the upper floors as well a large Fuction Room on the first floor. There were two ground floor bars. There was no interal access to each room so customer who wished to enter the other room had to go outside and go thought the other door. The woodwork inside was outstanding and very 1920s as I have said the present building was rebuilt in 1928 as shown on a down pipe thats if someone has not nicked it! It has been sold then resold over the years such a great shame. At time of closing its trade was bad due the works in the area closing down and very few people living in the area unlike now. I have also made a note on the Hole in the Wall pub thread about its history.

In regards to Market Tavern, Exchange Street. My family ran the pub in the 1920s then known as Rotherham House just after it had been rebuilt in 1920. They stayed for about three years so sorry I can,t tell you what the building was like in the 1960s. In 2009 I got permission for access and to photo the inside what I found was a large ground floor trading area with a bar in the corner quite grand also a very 1970s upstairs bar I was told there is a bar in the basement but was not allowed to go down due to safety reasons my photos can be viewed at Sheffield Central Library in Local Studies I know from research the pub has been renamed a lot over the years it closed in Jan 2006 due to falling trade like the Queens its a real shame it's gone to waste. Sorry I cant be more helpful. Old Cossack

The market tavern has i think, had the most name changes of any pub in sheffield.

The Sun

Old number 12

Double 6

Rotherham house

Berni restaurant

The garden

Market tavern

It was also said to be haunted,but nothing was as scary as the karaoke on Saturday afternoon lol.

• 4 years later...

Scotland Street seems a sort of wasteland area full of derelict buildings some you would look twice at others not but one building I do like is the old derelict boozer, The Queen's Hotel. The brickwork design givens the building a strong grand look which in its day would have looked impressive. However the building today sits unloved an battered sign proclaimes ' wards' on the roofline the doors and windows covered with wooden boards. Iv heard their are plans to make the pub into ' trendy' flats no chance of it reopening as its intended purpose. Did you go in the Queens , or the know reason why it closed?

Guest makapaka
In regards to Market Tavern, Exchange Street. My family ran the pub in the 1920s then known as Rotherham House just after it had been rebuilt in 1920. They stayed for about three years so sorry I can,t tell you what the building was like in the 1960s. In 2009 I got permission for access and to photo the inside what I found was a large ground floor trading area with a bar in the corner quite grand also a very 1970s upstairs bar I was told there is a bar in the basement but was not allowed to go down due to safety reasons my photos can be viewed at Sheffield Central Library in Local Studies I know from research the pub has been renamed a lot over the years it closed in Jan 2006 due to falling trade like the Queens its a real shame it's gone to waste. Sorry I cant be more helpful. Old Cossack

I'd love to see some photos - are they online anywhere?

I am sure it was a William Youngers house in the 50s & 60s

I think the only William Younger's house (at least in or near the city centre) and I can't speak for the '50s, was the 'Athol Hotel' (Charles Street). I once read, that the council would only allow one William Younger's house in the centre -reasons I do not know- after the 'Athol' closed in late 1965 the next one was the 'Claymore' on Arundel Gate a few years later. When the 'Cavendish' (Bank Street) opened in 1967 their beer was Younger's (Scottish and Newcastle Breweries) but that was a club not a pub.

Edited by stpetre
Edit