The Queens Hotel, Scotland Street

Regarding when the Queens was open.It was diffently open in 1969 I had my wedding reception there. The landlord who had it then was called Vernon ( can't remember his surname ) he came from a pub in Crookes which was called the original grindstone which was pulled down

Regarding when the Queens was open.It was diffently open in 1969 I had my wedding reception there. The landlord who had it then was called Vernon ( can't remember his surname ) he came from a pub in Crookes which was called the original grindstone which was pulled down

Recall around 1966-1968. a bloke -(Mick Mike ?)- his parents ran the Queen's Hotel during that time and his 'profession' was taking people's photographs as they walked in the Pinstone Street/Moorhead are. They gullibly paid money to him to (he took a name an address for stuff they never (or were ever going to) receive. He sometimes sold razor blades in the street too. Talk about honest jobs ?

Was their houses on Scotland Street itself. Iv been and had a look today their is warehouse, chapel like building, an ugly building next to the Queens further down a showroom. It would seem odd to build a hotel in an area lacking houses ?

Edited by crookedspire

Was their houses on Scotland Street itself. Iv been and had a look today their is warehouse, chapel like building, an ugly building next to the Queens further down a showroom. It would seem odd to build a hote in an area l lacking houses ?

There were a lot of back to backs around there.

I seem to recall being told that there were lots of pubs on Scotland St. I took some pictures around there in 2007, and even so recent, much of it has changed!

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 21:57 ----------

Just looking on Picture Sheffield (any excuse :hihi:) to see if any houses actually on it, and looks like probably yes.

This is a great picture!

as is this

another one

in fact just click through 'next' any of these links :hihi:

edit again found this on google from the Star which is interesting, I lost count how many it mentions, but I'd say a good 15! wow

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 22:18 ----------

this is a good little compare:

old

new

-

and another, you can get a feel of where you're looking again with this one because of that church type building on the left

old

new

Edited by *_ash_*

Looks vastly different in past times it's hard to believe its the same street. I did note though most of the buildings on that street are fairy modern in design by the pub plus noticed quite a bit of wasteland. What Iv seen about the proposals for the area it will build it back up a lot they will keep the frontage of the pub by a few minor changes the building next to it is going. I hope the plans happen the Queen's is getting in a bad way now hate to see some idiot damage it or worse.

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 23:02 ----------

There were a lot of back to backs around there.

I seem to recall being told that there were lots of pubs on Scotland St. I took some pictures around there in 2007, and even so recent, much of it has changed!

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 21:57 ----------

Just looking on Picture Sheffield (any excuse :hihi:) to see if any houses actually on it, and looks like probably yes.

This is a great picture!

as is this

another one

in fact just click through 'next' any of these links :hihi:

edit again found this on google from the Star which is interesting, I lost count how many it mentions, but I'd say a good 15! wow

---------- Post added 30-09-2016 at 22:18 ----------

this is a good little compare:

old

new

-

and another, you can get a feel of where you're looking again with this one because of that church type building on the left

old

new

Is it possible to view your 2007 photos by any chance , Iv took a few last year ?

Looks vastly different in past times it's hard to believe its the same street.

I know. It looks like a right bustlin street in those days.

I did note though most of the buildings on that street are fairy modern in design by the pub plus noticed quite a bit of wasteland.

From looking through the pictures, it looks like it was widened on different sides at different times, based on the few buildings that remain.

Is it possible to view your 2007 photos by any chance , Iv took a few last year ?

Of course, I uploaded some from around there the other day, just click left and right.

edit, actually I can only see this one of actual Scotland St in this set. I was uploading them to show something else and only included this one. I did a drive around there in the same year which shows it.

Back in January I asked one of the workmen that was tidying it up what was happening and was told luxury apartments and student accommodation. They boarded it up but theres been no sign of anyone since. Such a shame if its fallen through, its a lovely old building.

Back in January I asked one of the workmen that was tidying it up what was happening and was told luxury apartments and student accommodation. They boarded it up but theres been no sign of anyone since. Such a shame if its fallen through, its a lovely old building.

It is. I expect it to be flattened.

I fear you may be right. I really hope not though. The workman I spoke to said that they had to keep the original frontage as it was listed.

That suits me nikki :)

I think the old and new can make excellent modern buildings. It's obviously more expensive which is why companies will flatten if allowed.

Sheffield is terrible for not giving a toss and letting anything be flattened. The Star and Garter is the latest example.