Youth employment rate at lowest for 20 years

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/jul/22/youth-employment-rate-lowest

There are fewer young people working than at any time in the past two decades, according to figures which show that one in five 16- to 24-year-olds are unemployed.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics show the "inactive" population – which comprises young people who are neither working nor unemployed – stands at nearly 3 million, the highest level since the data was first collected in 1992. The analysis says two-thirds of these 16- to 24-year-olds are staying on in education, perhaps to stave off unemployment.

But at least they can claim the SRR LHA rate and yield rent for the local slumlord.

The economy is on the UP!

Is there any correlation between youth employment rate and youth qualification to do the job rate?

Are youths not allowed to become self-employed?

Would you hire somebody who couldn't even spell 'work'?

I often see jobs advertised littered with spelling mistakes.

When the core work, and distribution of goods requires such a small proportion of the labour force, work in the traditional sense will cease to exist.

Also consider, many employers have stopped hiring to avoid making redundancies, adversely affecting those entering the labour market, particularly the youth.

When I went to secondary school (about 50 years ago) I and my colleagues were told: "The advent of modern technology means that when you leave school, you won't have to spend you lives doing menial labour for low pay."

Not quite the same as "The advent of modern technology means that somebody else will support you" in fact we were told: "There will be high-technology jobs which will require advanced skills and training - you lot will have to work hard to acquire the skills and training you are going to need. We're raising the school-leaving age from 14 to 16. Work hard."

Somehow, the message became corrupted: " Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance." Or rather "Send some handouts. We were too lazy to work at school and we're not employable."

There are jobs for pilots (though not many) but there are few jobs for pile-its. - the people who work a pitchfork shovelling horse manure.

It shouldn't be a surprise. Educators and employers were telling schoolchildren 50 years ago that they would need fewer unskilled labourers and more highly skilled and qualified people.

The government even provided more (free) training - an additional 2 years of school. More recently, the government provided YET ANOTHER two years of free education.

If the population is increasing (and it is) then surely there are at least some jobs going?

If there are no 'core work' (Low-paid unskilled labouring) jobs going, why does the country have to import so many Latvians and Estonians as agricultural workers?

Why can't those jobs be done by local people?

"It's too much like hard work", "It makes my back hurt" "I'm not prepare to work as an unskilled labourer for unskilled labourer pay rates" are not (or should not be) acceptable reasons, but they might suggest an answer.

When I went to secondary school (about 50 years ago) I and my colleagues were told: "The advent of modern technology means that when you leave school, you won't have to spend you lives doing menial labour for low pay."

Not quite the same as "The advent of modern technology means that somebody else will support you" in fact we were told: "There will be high-technology jobs which will require advanced skills and training - you lot will have to work hard to acquire the skills and training you are going to need. We're raising the school-leaving age from 14 to 16. Work hard."

Somehow, the message became corrupted: " Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance." Or rather "Send some handouts. We were too lazy to work at school and we're not employable."

There are jobs for pilots (though not many) but there are few jobs for pile-its. - the people who work a pitchfork shovelling horse manure.

It shouldn't be a surprise. Educators and employers were telling schoolchildren 50 years ago that they would need fewer unskilled labourers and more highly skilled and qualified people.

The government even provided more (free) training - an additional 2 years of school. More recently, the government provided YET ANOTHER two years of free education.

If the population is increasing (and it is) then surely there are at least some jobs going?

If there are no 'core work' (Low-paid unskilled labouring) jobs going, why does the country have to import so many Latvians and Estonians as agricultural workers?

"It's too much like hard work", "It makes my back hurt" "I'm not prepare to work as an unskilled labourer for unskilled labourer pay rates" are not (or should not be) acceptable reasons, but they might suggest an answer.

Agricultural workers from the EU often work illegally for less than the minimum wage, work excessively long hours, live in dormitories, and return home at the end of a specified period.

The work is temporary, seasonal, and regional. It often doesn't pay enough to live on if you factor in proper rent, transport and council tax etc. When the job ends the benefits system cannot cope with temporary workers as claims take longer to come through than the job probably lasts.

I have contact with a lot of young people and I know many with good qualification and no experience that can’t find work, I know many young people that would love a job doing manual work but have no experience and can’t find work. My nephew as been applying for jobs for the past three years and hasn’t managed to get an interview, he has been constantly studying whilst looking but still can’t find work. In my experience immigrants don’t come to the UK to do the jobs our young people won’t do, they come to the UK to compete for these jobs that British people would love to do and many come with experience. Our local McDonald employs immigrant workers and I know several British young people that can’t get a job at McDonalds.

I am starting to think our young people are being stereo typed as all being lazy so aren’t even given the opportunity to work.

I am better off on the dole.

I can`t do shifts.

I am not getting my hands dirty.

I don’t do weekend ……….. it interferes with my social live.

Don’t laugh I have heard them all, a young lad actually told a manager “ I don’t do weekends” :o ……. You couldn’t make it up, obviously a life on the dole with free weekends is better than a job with days off in the week.

I am better off on the dole.

I can`t do shifts.

I am not getting my hands dirty.

I don’t do weekend ……….. it interferes with my social live.

Don’t laugh I have heard them all, a young lad actually told a manager “ I don’t do weekends” :o ……. You couldn’t make it up, obviously a life on the dole with free weekends is better than a job with days off in the week.

The problem is global around 80 million young unemployed people; in the EU youth unemployment is at 21%, many of these people can compete for jobs in the UK. Over the past 10 years youth unemployment in the UK as risen whilst the rest of the EU it as dropped, over ten years immigration into the UK as risen so there seems to be some correlation between immigration and unemployment, as immigrants come her from the EU there jobless count goes down as ours rises.

Globally there just aren’t enough jobs for the population.

Archived